You are here
Office of Policy for Extramural Research Administration (OPERA)
OPERA provides leadership and oversight in grants management policy and compliance, intellectual property, and OMB clearances to the extramural research community and NIH extramural staff through policy development, expert guidance, analysis, outreach, and related information dissemination in order to promote effective stewardship of NIH extramural funds in support of health research.
- NIH extramural policies and procedures
- NIH Grants Policy Statement
- NIH Grant and Training Application Forms
- Intellectual Property
- OMB Clearances under the Paperwork Reduction Act
- Grants compliance and oversight
- Financial Conflict of Interest
- NIH implementation of Federal-wide initiatives
Senior Advisor: Vacant
Project Clearance Branch
The Project Clearance Branch is the NIH control point for the Office of Management and Budget clearance functions concerning public information collection activities.Chief: Mikia Currie
Division of Grants Policy
The Division of Grants Policy (DGP) implements new NIH and Federal-wide initiatives, maintains NIH policy source documents such as the Grants Policy Statement, and provides leadership and support to address emerging issues associated with grants policy, electronic research administration, and grants management.
Director: Samuel Ashe
- Stefanie Harris, Assistant Grants Policy Officer
- Anthony Corio, Assistant Grants Policy Officer
- Kristin Ta, Assistant Grants Policy Officer
- Lauren Ruane, Assistant Grants Policy Officer
Division of Central Grants Processing (DCGP)
The Division of Central Grants Processing is a central coordination and receipt location for documents submitted from grantees or principal investigators. The center provides closeout of grants and cooperative agreements for the OD and 24 NIH ICs that make awards.
Director: Samuel Ashe
- Kathryn Ray, Supervisor
Division of Grants Compliance and Oversight
The Division of Grants Compliance and Oversight (DGCO) is the focal point to advance external compliance with policy and legislative mandates and enhance compliance oversight by recipient institutions. The DGCO also ensures and evaluates the efficient and effective management of extramural resources.
Director: Diane Dean
- Samantha Tempchin, Assistant Grants Compliance Officer
- Joel Snyderman, Assistant Grants Compliance Officer
- Kathy Hancock, Assistant Grants Compliance Officer
- Sahar Rais, Assistant Grants Compliance Officer
Division of Extramural Inventions and Technology Resources
The Division of Extramural Inventions and Technology Resources (DEITR) works under the auspices of OPERA to develop, implement, and monitor extramural intellectual property policies and invention reporting under the Bayh-Dole Act. The Division also promotes the proper utilization of NIH-funded patents and inventions in extramural programs, and facilitates the distribution and sharing of research resources.
Director: Ann Hammersla
- Mary Fran Deutsch, J.D., Assistant Extramural Inventions Policy Officer
- John Salzman, M.S., M.P.M., Assistant Extramural Inventions Policy Officer
- Scott Cooper, J.D., Assistant Extramural Inventions Policy Officer
- Carolyn Mosby, Program Analyst
Direct OPERA phone line: 301-435-0949