decorative image
Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.
decorative image
Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you've safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.


Expand for resources

n/a Warning! This browser is not supported - Some features might not work. Try using a different browser such as Chrome, Edge, Firefox, or Safari.


Registration in multiple systems required.

Start early - it may take six weeks or more to complete!

  • Organization Registrations - Required registrations include eRA Commons, System for Award Management (SAM),, and Small Business Administration (if applicable). Your authorized organization representatives (also referred to as signing officials, entity administrators, or e-business points of contact) are responsible for ensuring the various organization registrations needed to apply for grant funding are in place and active. 
  • Investigator and Other Individual User Registrations - Although most registrations pertain to your organization and the individuals responsible for maintaining your organization information, individual user accounts in some of these systems (e.g., eRA Commons) may also be necessary to perform certain tasks. 

NIH typically makes awards to organizations, not individuals. In rare cases an individual who is not affiliated with a research organization may need to register in eRA Commons. For example, the Loan Repayment Program, supports contracts with individuals. LRP applicants who are not affiliated with a research organization may need to register in eRA Commons as an organization and an individual user. See Special Instructions for Unaffiliated/Independent Applicants.