The Division of Grants Policy (DGP) within the Office of Policy for Extramural Research Administration (OPERA) develops, executes, and interprets NIH policies for administering financial assistance (grants and cooperative agreements) for the extramural research community. DGP also provides policy guidance for NIH extramural staff and provides leadership and support to address emerging issues and standardize grants administration practices within NIH.
- Administer NIH extramural grants administration policies to implement HHS and Federal-wide Initiatives, OMB Directives, and legislation.
- Support the extramural research community and NIH extramural staff by providing interpretive policy guidance for resolving complex grants policy matters.
- Conduct educational outreach activities to increase awareness of new and existing NIH policies for NIH staff and the extramural research community.
- Recommend updates to the NIH eRA Commons grants management system to incorporate changes to grants administration policies.
- Support NIH Institutes and Centers (ICs) in program development and expansion.
- Provide policy development support to ICs and other offices under the Office of the Director.
Key NIH Grant Policy Sources
- NIH Grants Policy Statement
- Policy Guide Notices
- FAQs on various policy topic areas
- NIH Update Presentations
- NIH Grants Administration Manuals
Xanthia James, Director
- Adam Graham, Grants Policy Officer
- Avery Tucker, Grants Policy Officer
- Ashley Alexander, Grants Policy Officer
- Carrie Mitchell, Grants Policy Officer
Important Policy Links
Please direct all policy inquiries to GrantsPolicy@od.nih.gov.