On this page:
Peer review meeting in progress. Photo courtesy of Center for Scientific Review
What's New in Peer Review
- NOT-OD-23-156: Review Integrity and Bias Awareness Training will be Required for NIH Reviewers Effective May 2024 Council Round
- NOT-OD-23-149: The Use of Generative Artificial Intelligence Technologies is Prohibited for the NIH Peer Review Process.
- NOT-OD-23-106: Revising the NIH/AHRQ/NIOSH Post-Submission Material Policy - March 31, 2023
- Data Management and Sharing Policy Guidance for NIH Reviewers (starting 10/2023 council round) - March 9, 2023
- NOT-OD-23-034: Request for Information (RFI) on Proposed Simplified Review Framework for NIH Research Project Grant Applications - Dec. 8, 2022
See history of What’s New in Peer Review.
Find pre-meeting, meeting and post-meeting activities on our ‘Information for Reviewers’ website. The site includes key information such as reviewer guidelines, policy documents, step-by-step instructions for using the Internet Assisted Review (IAR) system. In addition, critique templates are located on the website; reviewers must check with their Scientific Review Officer on which template to use.
Law, Regulations and Policies
- Final Rules and Regulations for Scientific Peer Review of Research Grant Applications and Research and Development Contract Projects (42 CFR 52h) - (PDF - 61 KB)
- Federal Register Notice - January 15, 2004 - (PDF - 67 KB)
- Office of Federal Advisory Committee Policy
- Government in the Sunshine Act
For Peer Review policies, see the section for:
Peer Review Integrity
- Maintaining Security and Confidentiality in NIH Peer Review: Rules, Responsibilities and Possible Consequences (NOT-OD-22-044)
- NIH Confidentiality and Non Disclosure Rules
Conflict of Interest
- Guidelines for the Review of Inclusion on the Basis of Sex/Gender, race, Ethnicity and Age in Clinical Research
- Appeals of NIH Initial Peer Review (NOT-OD-11-064)
Note: Other guidelines can be found on the Consolidated List of Reviewer Documents webpage