The NIH is deeply concerned for the health and safety of people involved in NIH research, and about the effects on the biomedical enterprise in the areas affected by the HHS declared public health emergency for COVID-19. Due to the potential exceptional impact, we want to assure our recipient community that NIH will be doing our part to help you continue your research.
This is a rapidly evolving situation and we will provide updated guidance and information as it becomes available.
See page update history.
On This Page:
- Overview presentation (Powerpoint) – updated 6/15/2020
- Overview talking points (Word) – updated 6/15/2020
- NIH Implementation of OMB Memorandum M-20-26 "Extension of Administrative Relief for Recipients and Applicants of Federal Financial Assistance Directly Impacted by the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) due to Loss of Operations" - 6/25/2020
- NOT-OD-20-122: Guidance for Applicants Preparing Applications for the Fall 2020 Due Dates During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- NOT-OD-20-123: Special Exception to the NIH/AHRQ/NIOSH Post-Submission Material Policy During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- See NIH FAQ on late applications during COVID-19
- NOT-NS-20-076: Notice to Extend Eligibility for Submission of Diversity K22 Applications due to COVID–related Disruptions
- NOT-AG-20-033: NIA Late Application Policy for NIA-Specific FOAs with Application Due Dates in May, June, and July 2020
- NOT-GM-20-029: NIGMS Late Application Policy for NIGMS-Specific FOAs with Application Due Dates in May 2020
- NOT-GM-20-086: Flexibilities Available to Applicants and Recipients of Federal Financial Assistance Affected by COVID-19
- NOT-GM-20-026: Guidance for Cost-Related Flexibilities Available to Support of Competitive Research (SCORE) Award Recipients Affected by COVID-19 - NOT-GM-20-026
- Contracts must be handled on a case by case basis. Details regarding any contract must be directed to the cognizant Contracting Officer. Salary changes must be handled by the contracting officer.
- NOT-OD-20-087: Guidance for NIH-funded Clinical Trials and Human Subjects Studies Affected by COVID-19
- FDA Guidance on Conduct of Clinical Trials of Medical Products during COVID-19 Pandemic
- OHRP COVID-19 Resources
- Considerations for New and Ongoing Human Subjects Research During the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency (Word) - 6/1/2020
- COVID-19 Pandemic Contingency Planning for Animal Care and Use Programs
- NOT-OD-20-088: Flexibilities for Assured Institutions for Activities of Institutional Animal Care and Use Committees (IACUCs) Due to COVID-19
- Coronavirus Update: Guidance for Peer Reviewers
- Based on NIH Guidance on Travel and Meetings , in-person NIH peer review meetings are being held in alternate formats. Scientific review officers will be in contact with peer reviewers about these changes.
- Funding Opportunities Specific to COVID-19
- "Open Mike" Blog: COVID-19 Funding and Funding Opportunities
All COVID-19 research grant funding
Grant data are updated each weekend. Use the RePORTER search screen to filter these results by other criteria, including individual special appropriations.
A Federal-wide listing of acquisitions related to the COVID-19 response is available from the Federal Procurement Data System in a special COVID-19 report.
- New NIH Resource to Analyze COVID-19 Literature: The COVID-19 Portfolio Tool
- Supporting Yourself and Your Trainees During the Coronavirus Pandemic Online Workshops
- NIH Office of Intramural Training & Education: Virtual NIH Activities for Trainees Outside the NIH
- NIH Website: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- CDC Website: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) including its guidance for Institutes of Higher Education and for mental health and coping
- WHO Website: Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak
- General Information on NIH Extramural Response to Natural Disasters and Other Emergencies