You are here
A competing revision is a request for an increase in support in a current budget period for expansion of the project's approved scope or research protocol. Applicants must apply and undergo peer review.
- You may submit a competing revision application to request support for an expansion of a project's scope or research protocol.
- Applications for revisions are not appropriate when the sole purpose is to restore awards to the full level recommended during peer review if they were administratively reduced by the funding agency.
- You may not submit a revision application until after the original grant has been awarded.
- Revisions may not extend beyond the term of the current award period.
- Competing revisions are generally not available for individual fellowship grants.
- A revision has a suffix in its application identification number, e.g., S1. (Revisions were previously referred to as "competing supplements" hence "S1".)
Requirements for Competing Revision Application Submissions
- Revision applications must be submitted by the same project director/principal investigator (PD/PI), or Contact PD/PI for multi-PI grants, as listed on the current award.
Use the Introduction to Application field of the PHS 398 Research Plan form to attach a one-page Introduction that describes the nature of the revision and how it will influence the specific aims, research design, and methods of the current grant.
- For multi-project applications this is required in the overall component, and is optional in other components
- Resubmissions of a revision for training grant applications allow a 3 page introduction
The body of the application should contain sufficient information from the original grant application to allow evaluation of the proposed revision in relation to the goals of the original application.
- Use the Overall component to describe the original grant and context for any additional components or changes to existing components proposed in the Revision application
- Your application should only include the Overall component, any revised components and any new components (i.e., it is not necessary to provide information for components in the awarded grant for which no change is proposed in the Revision application
- Multi-project applications:
- Applicants must use the same budget format (i.e. R&R Budget Form or PHS 398 Modular Budget Form) as the current award.
- Any budgetary changes for the remainder of the project period of the current grant should be discussed in the Budget Justification.
This page last updated on January 19, 2017
Technical Issues: E-mail OER Webmaster