An administrative supplement is a noncompeting award that provides additional funding to a currently funded grant to meet increased costs that are within the scope of the approved project, but that were unforeseen when the new or competing renewal application was awarded.
- Administrative supplement FOAs for specific programs (such as the Research Supplements to Promote Diversity)
- A parent administrative supplement FOA for requests that do not fall under a specific program.
- Notices of Special Interest that identify an administrative supplement FOA for application submission.
All administrative supplement requests must be submitted electronically using ASSIST, Grants.gov Workspace, or a system-to-system solution (NOT-OD-20-128.)
Requirements for Submitting Requests for Administrative Supplements
- Submit a request for supplemental funding before the awarded grant expires.
- Consult with the NIH grants management officer and program official assigned to your award before submitting a request for an administrative supplement.
- Review the awarding institute and center's (IC) web site to determine any IC-specific submission deadlines or eligibility criteria before submitting an administrative supplement request.
- Identify an appropriate funding opportunity announcement (FOA) by searching the NIH Guide to Grants and Contracts. Using the advanced search feature, use the activity code field and select "Admin Supp" (activity code will show as "333").
- Find the application package linked from the FOA that is appropriate for the parent award.
- Complete all required fields in the application package that you would for a competing award unless your FOA specifies otherwise.
Provide additional information justifying the supplemental dollars as described in the FOA.
- Cover letter attachments are not allowed since administrative supplements are sent directly to the awarding institute and bypass the receipt and referral staff with access to cover letters.
- Provide additional information justifying the supplemental dollars as described in the FOA
Three Methods to Initiate an Administrative Supplement Through eRA Systems
- Initiate in ASSIST, enter the Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) for an administrative supplement and enter information manually
- Initiate in ASSIST and after entering the Federal ID number of the parent grant award, some of the information from the parent award is pre-populated
- Initiate through eRA Commons and after identifying a specific grant for administrative supplement, be directed by the system to ASSIST where some information from the parent award is pre-populated
For steps and screenshots, see:
- Initiating an Administrative Supplement Application topic in the ASSIST online help
- Manage Administrative Supplement topic in the eRA Commons online help
Active Administrative Supplement Opportunities