|NIH peer reviewers may have different responsibilities at review meetings depending on their roles. Please check with your SRO.
Primary/Reviewer 1, Secondary/Reviewer 2 and Tertiary/Reviewer 3 (sometimes also designated as Discussant):
- Review your assigned applications
- Write and submit critiques and scores for assigned applications
- Read critiques from other assigned reviewers
- Be prepared to discuss the score driving strengths and weaknesses
- Read and understand the critiques of the assigned applications
- Provide a short written review if the SRO asks for one
- Check with your SRO
- Provide a written critique for the applications assigned and maybe submit preliminary criterion and/or impact scores.
- Review the abstract and aims of all applications, and discuss any issues or changes in review policy/guidelines with the SRO
- Write critiques and submit scores for the specific applications assigned to them (can be Reviewer 1, 2 or 3 for any given assignment)
- Follow up on any other chair-specific instructions provided by the SRO