New NIH "FORMS-F" Grant Application Forms and Instructions Coming for Due Dates on or after May 25, 2020
Release Date: November 22, 2019
- Novel, High-Impact Studies Evaluating Health System and Healthcare Professional Responsiveness to COVID-19 (R01)
Office of The Director, National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
This notice informs the biomedical and health services research communities of changes to grant application form and application guide instructions for due dates on or after May 25, 2020.
The following application forms include substantive changes (i.e., new/deleted/modified fields). All other forms include only an OMB expiration date change.
- PHS 398 Career Development Award Supplemental Form
- PHS 398 Cover Page Supplement
- PHS Assignment Request form
- PHS Fellowship Supplemental Form
- PHS Human Subjects and Clinical Trials Information
- SBIR/STTR Information
See High-level Summary of Form Changes in FORMS-F Application Packages for a full list of form changes. We will notify the community if we determine additional changes are needed.
These changes will be implemented with application form packages identified with a Competition ID of "FORMS-F" and associated application guide instructions.
We will provide additional guidance and confirm our implementation plans in early 2020.
Applicants must use FORMS-F application packages for due dates on or after May 25, 2020 and must use FORMS-E application packages for due dates on or before May 24, 2020. Applications submitted using the wrong forms for their intended due date will not be reviewed.
Availability of FORMS-F Application Guides
Application guides for FORMS-F application packages will be posted to the How to Apply - Application Guide page no later than March 25, 2020.
Availability of FORMS-F Application Packages
We will post FORMS-F application packages as follows
- New funding opportunity announcements (FOAs) will be posted with FORMS-F application packages beginning February 25, 2020.
- New FOAs posted before February 25, 2020 with initial due dates on or after May 25, 2020 will be posted without application forms until updated forms are available. Application packages will be added to these FOAs by March 25, 2020.
- All previously issued, active FOAs with due dates on or after May 25, 2020 (except administrative supplement, change of institution, and successor-in-interest Parent FOAs) will be updated to add FORMS-F application packages between February 25, 2020 and March 25, 2020.
For a transition period, both FORMS-E and FORMS-F application packages will be active. Applicants must choose the appropriate application package for their due date when presented with both FORMS-E and FORMS-F application packages on the same FOA (see table below).
If your intended due date is…
You must use…
On or before May 24, 2020, including:
- Applications submitted for due dates on or before May 24, 2020
- Applications submitted under NIH Late Policy 2-week window of consideration for intended due dates on or before May 24, 2020
- Applications submitted by June 7, 2020 under NIH Continuous Submission Policy for the May 7, 2020 AIDS intended due date
FORMS-E application package
On or after May 25, 2020, including:
- Applications submitted for due dates on or after May 25, 2020
- All application types (New, Resubmission, Renewal, Revision)
- Applications submitted early for intended due dates on or after May 25, 2020
FORMS-F application package
- Administrative Supplement, Successor-in-Interest (Type 6) and Change of Institution (Type 7) Parent Announcements will be reissued with new FOA numbers, FORMS-F application packages, and FORMS-F instructions on May 25, 2020. Applications started on or after May 25, 2020 must use the new FORMS-F Parent FOAs. The FORMS-E FOAs will expire on June 25, 2020 giving applicants one month to complete their initiated FORMS-E applications.
Please direct all inquiries to:
NIH Office of Policy for Extramural Research Administration (OPERA)
Systems Policy Branch