Policy & Compliance

Return to NIH Extramural Response to Natural Disasters and Other Emergencies
Frequently Asked Questions
NIH Extramural Response to Natural Disasters and Other Emergencies
Initial Posting: October 27, 2008
Last Revised: January 11, 2018

  A. Recent Natural Disaster Events (Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, Maria)

  1. Is any special relief being given to institutions in Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands who are unable to submit grant applications on time due to impacts of hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria?

    Yes, NIH will accept late applications from these impacted institutions for all funding opportunity announcements with dues dates between September 16 and December 16, 2017 (NOT-OD-18-114). Applicants may submit a one-page cover letter explanation for the reason for late submission but these letters are not required.

    Late applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Impact on collaborators, subcontractors, and named senior/key personnel who are not PD/PIs will not be considered.

    Although applicants have until December 16 to complete their submissions for any due dates that fall between September 16 and December 16, the earlier applications can be submitted the better.

    If the announcement you intended to submit to has expired, you should contact the eRA Service Desk at least 2 business days prior to your anticipated submission so they can coordinate any changes needed to allow systems to process your application.

  2. Is there a date/time from which late applications, under NOT-OD-18-114, will no longer be accepted?

    Applications for due dates between August 25, 2017 and December 16, 2017 must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM December 16 (local applicant organization time), regardless of how many days the applicant organization was officially closed.

  3. What do I do if I submitted an application prior to August 25 and, due to impacts from Harvey, Irma, or Maria, some of the information needs to be revised?

    Institutions in the affected area may submit post-submission grant application materials to revise information that was submitted in an application for a due date before August 25, 2017 as long as the materials are received at least fourteen days before the start of the review meeting.

    A letter of explanation (maximum of one page) is required. (NOT-OD-18-114).

  4. NOT-OD-17-111 and NOT-OD-18-002 say “applications for FOAs with a special, one time review meeting can be accommodated only if submitted no later than three weeks before the scheduled review meeting.” Does this mean that we have until 3 weeks before the review meeting to submit any application that has a submission receipt date between August 25 and December 16?

    No. The requirement to submit no later than 3 weeks prior to the review meeting date applies only to FOAs with both: (1) an application due date and (2) a special one-time review meeting within the August 25 -December 16 timeframe. In general, one-time, special review meetings are held for some, but not all, RFAs and PARs. See the "Application Due Date(s)" and "Scientific Merit Review" fields in Part 1 of the FOA. If only one date is identified in each field, then the accommodation would apply. If there is not a specific meeting start date indicated in the "Scientific Merit Review" field, contact the "Scientific/Research Contact(s)" identified near the end of the FOA to determine the specific, one-time review date scheduled for that FOA to calculate the deadline.

    Note: Per NOT-OD-18-114, NIH is now extending this broader flexibility to institutions impacted by Hurricane Irma as well as Hurricanes Harvey and Maria.

  5. Can an institution in the affected area (see NOT-OD-17-111 and NOT-OD-18-002) still apply to an FOA that has expired?

    Yes. The applicant institution should contact the eRA service desk at least 2 business days prior to your anticipated submission so they can coordinate any changes needed to allow systems to process your application.

    Note: Applications for FOAs with a special, one-time review meeting can be accommodated only if submitted no later than three weeks before the scheduled review meeting.

    Note: Per NOT-OD-18-114, NIH is now extending this broader flexibility to institutions impacted by Hurricane Irma as well as Hurricanes Harvey and Maria.

  6. My institution was in the affected area but did not officially close, can I still utilize the accommodations in NOT-OD-17-111 or NOT-OD-18-002?
    Note: Per NOT-OD-18-114, NIH is now extending this broader flexibility to institutions impacted by Hurricane Irma as well as Hurricanes Harvey and Maria.
  7. Will NIH accept late Financial and Progress reports from impacted institutions?

    Progress reports (Research Performance Progress Reports (RPPR) are typically required annually as part of the non-competing continuation award process. Financial reports (Federal Financial Report expenditure data) are due either annually or at the end of a competitive segment, as indicated in the Notice of Award.

    NIH understands that some reporting delays due to the storm are unavoidable. If recipients are unable to complete and submit an RPPR and/or FFR by the scheduled due date, they should promptly contact the assigned grants management and/or program official.

    Annual and quarterly financial and performance reports may be submitted up to three (3) months beyond the normal due date.

    Although NIH will accept these late reports, grant awards will be delayed until the required reports are submitted and accepted by NIH. (NOT-OD-18-114)

  8. Will NIH waive prior approval requirements?

    Rebudgeting authority is available under NIH Grants Policy Statement Sec., which states, “NIH prior approval is not required to rebudget funds for any direct cost item that the applicable cost principles identify as requiring the Federal awarding agency's prior approval, unless the incurrence of costs is associated with or is considered to be a change in scope.” (NOT-OD-18-114)

  9. Can impacted institutions use unobligated balances for immediate recovery efforts?

    NIH is also allowing grantees to use unobligated balances on their active grants for immediate recovery efforts, including such efforts to sustain or move animals, cell lines, reagents, etc.  This is an allowable cost as long as it’s within the scope of the original award. Additionally, NIH will allow “significant rebudgeting” (i.e., 25% or more change across budget categories) without prior approval, as long as there is no change to scope (i.e., scientific aims).  (NOT-OD-18-114)

  10. Will NIH allow currently approved Facilities and Administration (F&A/indirect cost) rates to be extended for impacted institutions?

    For grantee institutions whose current Federally approved F&A rates are close to expiring (i.e., in the next several months, but less than a year from now), NIH will allow grantees in the affected areas to continue to use the current Federally-approved indirect cost rates (predetermined, fixed, or provisional rates) to recover their F&A/indirect costs on Federal awards for one additional year without submission of an indirect cost proposal. (NOT-OD-18-114)

  11. Will NIH allow an extension of Single Audit submissions from impacted institutions?

    Per 45 CFR 75.501, institutions expending $750,000 or more in Federal funding in a Fiscal Year (FY) are required to submit an annual Single Audit report.

    NIH will allow grantees to delay the completion and submission of the Single Audit report for up to 12 months beyond the normal due date.

    The delayed completion and submission would still qualify the grantee as a “low-risk auditee” under the criteria of 45 CFR 75.520. (NOT-OD-18-114)

  12. Will NIH allow alternatives for record retention from impacted institutions?

    We will allow grantees to substitute copies of original records for the original records, as permitted under 45 CFR 75.363. (NOT-OD-18-114)

  13. Can impacted institutions expend award funds for salaries and other project activities during the time they were closed?

    In general, expenditure of award funds to continue paying salaries and fringe benefits to researchers during any period when no work is performed under the award is unallowable.

    However, if your organization’s policy allows it to continue to charge salaries and benefits to currently active Federal awards (under unexpected or extraordinary circumstances) from all funding sources, Federal and non-Federal, then you would be able to continue charging salaries for those budgeted on current NIH grants.

    Note: NIH awarding Institutes/Centers (ICs) may request documentation for confirmation of such an institutional policy. (NOT-OD-18-114)

  14. Will NIH allow an extension of grant closeout for impacted institutions?

    We are allowing grantees to delay submission of any pending financial, performance and other reports required by the terms and conditions of award for the closeout of expired projects, provided that proper notice about the reporting delay is given by the recipient to the IC. This delay may not exceed one year. (NOT-OD-18-114)

  15. Sandy
    Sandy-specific FAQs can be found at: Natural Disaster – Sandy.
Back to Top

  B. General Questions

  1. What types of assistance can I expect to receive from NIH following a natural disaster or emergency?
    Assistance to the NIH community during natural disasters and other emergencies is handled on a case-by-case basis in a manner appropriate to the circumstances. In these cases, NIH, in coordination with HHS, OMB, FEMA, and other Federal agencies, will consider such issues as whether a Federal Disaster is declared; the severity of damage inflicted; the length of time an institution may be required to close or that is required for recovery; the impact on investigators, human research subjects, and animal subjects; and the overall impact on the community. Please note that these steps are not automatic but will be announced as appropriate on this web page and in the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts.
    • Allowing a delay in grant application submissions equal to the time of institution closure or evacuation order.
    • Assisting with animal welfare issues.
    • Waiving certain prior approval requirements.
    • Providing extensions of time for financial and other reporting.
    • Other assistance as appropriate.
  2. Where can I go for information on what NIH is doing to assist its applicants and grantees during natural disasters and emergencies?
    NIH has published a Web site on the extramural response to natural disasters and other emergencies at http://grants.nih.gov/grants/natural_disasters.htm.  It is intended to be a resource for the entire biomedical research community. Look here for NIH Guide Notices and other information of particular relevance to investigators and their institutions, links to web pages listing NIH’s response to certain major events (past and present); and links to similar web sites from other Federal agencies.
  3. While our institution wasn’t directly affected by a disaster/emergency, our PD/PI suffered significant personal losses. May we submit our application late and will it be considered for funding.
    Generally, extending deadlines for application submissions is directly related to how long the applicant institution is shut down. However, if the impact caused by the disaster/emergency was of a personal nature, the regular late policy would apply. See NIH Guide Notice NOT-OD-15-039.
  4. My institution is in a disaster area but it was not closed due to the disaster. May I submit my application late?
    No. Since your institution was not officially closed, the standard due date still applies. See the NIH Policy on Late Submission of Grant Applications described in NIH Guide Notice NOT-OD-15-039, which may apply to PD/PIs (and MPIs) who are personally impacted by the disaster/emergency. Include a cover letter explaining the circumstances. Applications will be accepted on a case-by-case basis.
  5. My institution was not officially closed due to a disaster/emergency, because emergency personnel who staff our clinical services/hospital still had to report for duty. However, all non-essential personnel were told not to report to work. May I submit my application late?
    If your institution is open for emergency personnel only, NIH considers it to be closed for other functions such as application submission. NIH standard policy when an institution is closed due to natural disaster or other emergency situations is to allow delayed submissions not to exceed the time period the applicant organization is closed. Include a cover letter explaining the circumstances. Applications will be accepted on a case-by-case basis.
  6. My institution was closed three days due to a disaster/emergency. The policy says “the delay should not exceed the time period that the applicant organization is closed”. Since I lost three days for preparing my application, may I submit my application three days late for a due date next month?
    Applications for due dates missed because the applicant organization was closed for three days (including the due date) must be submitted within three days of the organization re-opening. A cover letter explaining the reason for late submission must be included with the application. The three day delay may be applied to upcoming application due dates. In all cases, though, acceptance of those applications is considered on a case-by-case basis, depending upon the individual circumstances outlined in the cover letter.
Back to Top

  C. Communication with NIH

  1. Who is the correct person at NIH to contact with questions regarding the effect of a natural disaster on the grant process?
    For assistance from NIH regarding any general or grant administration issues arising from a natural disaster or other emergency, please e-mail grantspolicy@od.nih.gov or call the Division of Grants Policy at (301) 435-0949.  You may also contact the Grants Management or Program Officers listed in the Notice of Award (NoA) for information concerning individual grants.
Back to Top

  D. Application Delays

  1. Is it necessary to obtain permission in advance for a delayed submission of my grant application due to a natural disaster or emergency?

    Each late application submission will be considered on a case-by-case basis.  For this reason, late submitting applicants must submit a cover letter noting the specific reasons for the delay.  In most cases, the normal windows of consideration apply with consideration of the time the institution was closed/under an evacuation order.

    The NIH is committed to trying to accommodate late applications from investigators directly affected by extraordinary natural disasters and other overwhelming emergencies. In extreme cases, any specific time limit for submission of such late applications from an institution that has had to suspend operations will be specified in a NIH Guide Notice issued for that particular emergency. In addition, there often are some additional constraints because reviewers must have sufficient time to consider the applications prior to the review meeting. 

    There are time constraints imposed for submissions made electronically through Grants.gov.  If difficulties are encountered in submission due to an expired Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA), please contact the eRA Service Desk

    Note: It may be beneficial for some applicants who experienced losses to consider submitting a competing application in a following cycle. Possible submission dates may be found on the following website: http://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/submissionschedule.htm.

  2. What do I do if the opportunity I intended to submit to has expired?

    NIH posts all funding opportunity announcements with a grace period of 30 calendar days following the expiration date. During the grace period, systems continue processing applications leaving decisions as to whether an application will be accepted for consideration to staff in our Division of Receipt and Referral. 

    You can submit using your normal submission process during the grace period, but be sure to include a cover letter with your application that details the impact of the natural disaster on your ability to prepare and submit your application.

    If submitting beyond the grace period, you will need to contact the eRA Service Desk at least 2 business days prior to your anticipated submission. The eRA Service Desk will coordinate the changes needed to allow systems to process your application.  

  3. How do I find expired funding opportunity announcements in the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts?

    Funding opportunity announcements remain accessible in the  NIH Guide to Grants and Contracts even after there expiration date. However, you must select the "Expired FOAs" tab in the NIH Guide to Grants and Contracts prior to providing your search criteria.

    If you have the funding opportunity number (e.g., PA-13-302), a simple internet search will also get you to the announcement text.

  4. Why can't I see the "Apply" buttons/links above the table of contents in expired announcements?

    The buttons/links to the various submission methods (NIH ASSIST, Grants.gov Workspace) typically found above the announcement table of contents are automatically removed from the announcement 2 weeks after the expiration date. 

    If you need assistance accessing the application package of an expired announcement, please contact the eRA Service Desk for assistance.

Back to Top

  E. Pending Applications

  1. How will applications pending peer review be evaluated, in particular the “Environment” section of an application?
    Reviewers will be instructed to review the application as submitted. NIH Staff will address ‘environment' after the completion of peer review. This consideration is comparable to the evaluation of environment when an investigator changes institutions prior to award.
  2. If a disaster strikes near the end of the fiscal year, will NIH fund pending competing applications to affected institutions? What about pending competing applications?

    In regards to competing awards, a determination will be made by individual Institutes and Centers (ICs) on the appropriate manner to handle the award. There are numerous factors that NIH program and grants management staff will consider in determining the viability of the research at the present time. Possible scenarios include the following:

    1. It is possible that some projects and research teams may be able to regroup and proceed.   In the case of missing certifications (humans/animals) due to the temporary move, the awarding Institute or Center will apply a restriction on the associated funds.
    2. An Institute or Center may decide that the project is not viable because of its dependency on a group of subjects which may or may not have significant numbers available in the near or the long term. In this case, the Institute or Center may elect to defer a funding decision until this issue can be addressed. 
    3. Large, complex projects that are dependent on skilled teams would also be a serious concern until the key personnel can be located and brought together. 
    4. For projects that are dependent on shared resources, an assessment of the availability of the resources may need to be made.
    The NIH will keep applications under consideration until the end of the fiscal year in the hope that the situation will improve sufficiently and an appropriate determination can be made regarding funding this fiscal year. If an application is carried over into the next fiscal year, the Institute or Center will carefully reconsider funding the project as the institution begins to recover from the affects of the emergency.
Back to Top

  F. Pending Non-Competing Progress Reports

  1. If a disaster strikes near the end of the fiscal year, will NIH fund pending non-competing progress reports to affected institutions?
    This will need to be evaluated by considering the circumstances of the award and the specific emergency.  However, it is anticipated that the NIH awarding components will proceed with issuing the non-competing continuation awards (Type 5s) as planned.
Back to Top

  G. Patient Care / Clinical Trials

  1. What if there was significant damage to the hospital’s infrastructure which will result in losses or delays to the clinical research?
    After a full assessment of the status and requirements for a project can be determined, investigators should contact their NIH program official to discuss the status of the project and what is needed to resume productive research (in accordance with the approved aims of the project.)
Back to Top

  H. Reporting to the Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare

  1. What should be done if there has been harm or death to laboratory animals during a natural disaster?
    Assured institutions are responsible for notifying OLAW about conditions that jeopardize the health or well-being of animals, including natural disasters, accidents, and mechanical failures, resulting in actual harm or death to animals. Institutions are also expected to report proposed changes in the institutional animal care and use program, e.g. extended delay in semiannual program review, or relocation of animals to facilities not covered in the Assurance. Institutions should report when feasible and after they have had opportunity to fully determine the extent of losses, if any.

    If no damage or impact to the program was sustained, reporting is not necessary.

    For advice and guidance from the Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare regarding any animal evacuation, animal health, animal housing, IACUC activities, or occupational health and safety concerns, please e-mail OLAW@od.nih.gov or call 301-496-7163.

    For information on disaster planning and response resources for animal care and use programs, see http://grants.nih.gov/grants/olaw/disaster_planning.htm.

Back to Top

  I. IACUC Review at Host Institutions

  1. A PI and his/her lab staff from an institution affected by a natural disaster will be hosted at my institution for an undetermined period of time to conduct research that involves animals. The PI’s home institution remains the awardee institution. What is our institution’s responsibility? Does the PI need a protocol with our institution? Does the PI need to participate in our animal user training and occupational health program?
    In this unusual circumstance, and to ensure accountability and appropriate conduct under the host institution’s Animal Welfare Assurance, it is strongly recommended that the host institution require the PI to complete the host institution’s animal protocol form and obtain the approval of the host IACUC. It is further recommended that the host IACUC provide a copy of the approval to the awardee institution’s IACUC, and also keep the awardee institution informed of any subsequent significant changes in the protocol or issues that arise with respect to the protocol. For tracking purposes, the host IACUC should know the grant ID number.

    It is important that the PI and his staff are appropriately integrated into the host institution's animal care and use program, including training (particularly of institutional policies or procedures that may be unique to the host institution) and occupational health programs. If the PI is able to provide documentation of training or occupational health information, the decision to accept such information rests with the host IACUC.

    Requests by PIs to be added to an existing similar protocol at the host institution should be handled in the same manner that the institution handles modifications to existing protocols.
Back to Top

  J. Facilities and Administrative Costs (F&A)

  1. How will the indirect (F&A) costs be handled for investigators that must temporarily relocate due to a natural disaster or other emergency?
    The NIH policy is to provide full indirect cost recovery as appropriate for the type of grant and the terms and conditions of the award. This policy applies to these temporary relocations. If a project is temporarily relocated and a consortium is developed between the two institutions, the host institution can receive their full F&A costs. If deemed necessary, administrative supplements may be requested to provide additional funds, but are subject to the availability of funds.
Back to Top

  K. Research Training Grants and Fellowships (NRSA)

  1. Who can I contact at NIH to discuss my National Research Service Award (NRSA) training situation impacted by a natural disaster?
    Training grant program directors and individual NRSA fellowship recipients should contact the NIH program official and/or grants management specialists listed on the NoA. Trainees being supported on an institutional NRSA training grant should contact the training grant program director.
  2. I currently have an active individual NRSA fellowship (F32) and due to a natural disaster I need to replace lost reagents necessary for my research. How can NIH help?
    A supplemental Institutional Allowance can be requested to replace the lost supplies. Requests for supplemental funds will need to be processed through the appropriate administrative channels at the sponsoring institution. You should contact the awarding NIH component immediately to discuss the specifics of your situation.
  3. I hold an active individual NRSA fellowship (F30, F31, F32). Due to an emergency, I’ve been forced to relocate to a temporary laboratory at another institution. How can NIH help?
    A supplemental institutional allowance can be requested to accommodate special travel needs and temporary (no more than 6 months) off-site training expenses. You should contact the awarding NIH component immediately to discuss the specifics of your situation. Please note that relocations of more than 6 months will require NIH prior approval. Requests for supplemental funds will need to be processed through the appropriate administrative channels at the sponsoring institution.
  4. I’m currently supported by an institutional NRSA training grant and have had to temporarily transfer to another institution. How can NIH Help?
    Your training grant program director should contact the awarding NIH component immediately. The NIH program director can request supplemental trainee travel to accommodate special travel needs and temporary (no more than 6 months) off-site training expenses. Note: Relocations of more than 6 months will require NIH prior approval. If you are unable to locate the training grant program director, contact the NIH awarding component that funds the training grant for assistance. Requests for supplemental funds will need to be processed through the appropriate administrative channels at the grantee institution.
  5. I am the program director of an institutional NRSA training grant. Can my institution request additional funds to help subsidize the replacement of supplies for NRSA-supported trainees?
    Yes. Training grant program directors should contact the awarding NIH component immediately to discuss the specifics of the situation. Requests for supplemental funds will need to be processed through the appropriate administrative channels at the grantee institution.
  6. I am an NRSA recipient (either institutional training grant or individual fellowship). As a result of a natural disaster, can I temporarily reduce my time and effort to the training program?
    Trainees on institutional training grants should contact their training grant director who may approve the proposed reduction in effort, and who will submit the necessary documents to the NIH awarding Institute or Center.  Fellows on individual fellowships should directly submit the request to reduce effort to the Grants Management Officer that signed the initial grant award.  NRSA trainees and fellows should be aware that there will be a proportionate reduction in stipend support.  For postdoctoral NRSA recipients this may impact the amount of payback obligation that may be incurred.
  7. I have an active NRSA individual fellowship and as a result of a natural disaster, I wish to permanently transfer my fellowship to another institution. How can NIH help?
    You should first discuss this situation with your current sponsor and sponsoring institution's business official. Then, you should contact the NIH Institute or Center (IC) that awarded the fellowship. The awarding component can accommodate a change of sponsoring institution and sponsor through standard administrative and programmatic review/approval procedures.
Back to Top

  L. Shared Resources

  1. What if a shared resource, such as a large piece of research equipment, is damaged or lost due to a natural disaster?
    The NIH will consider administrative supplements to provide for major shared resources not otherwise covered by insurance and which will not be replaced by another Federal agency such as FEMA. Alternatively, leasing may provide institutions with the ability to resume some core activities fairly quickly and delay more significant costs until sufficient funding can be secured.
Back to Top

  M. Significant Losses of Unique Research Tools and Information

  1. What should be done if there have been significant losses of unique resources, research tools, and/or repositories of information (i.e. databases)?
    Where there have been significant losses to animals, unique research tools and/or repositories of information, investigators should work with their project officers to develop a plan to determine what must be restored in order for the research to continue. The focus should be on what needs to be replaced in order to resume approved research, even if this does not restore everything that was lost. If necessary, however, an administrative supplement may be considered to add funds and/or time.

    If you have shared a resource in the past, it may be possible to make use of that avenue. For example it may be possible to restore a line of animals from a pair that were shared with another researcher or other research tools and data that has been shared and could now be regained. You may also have your investigators explore the links to the various scientific resources that are available from NIH Institute and Center home pages.
Back to Top

  N. Supplemental Time and Funds

  1. Can I request additional time to complete my project?
    NIH grantee institutions have authority to unilaterally provide a no-cost extension for a period of up to one year for nearly all of their grants.  Any further extensions of time require approval of the Grants Management Officer that signed the initial NoA.  Be sure to discuss the impact of the natural disaster on the grant when requesting the second no-cost extension.
  2. Can I request supplemental funds to complete my project?

    In general there are no specific provisions for administrative supplements to address these needs.  However, NIH will consider requests from grantees for additional funds on a case-by-case basis and subject to the availability of funds.

    1. As soon as investigators and institutions are able to assess the damage to their NIH-supported research programs and communicate with NIH Program staff, NIH will consider administrative supplement requests for extensions in time that include personnel costs; and replacement of equipment, supplies and unique resources damaged or lost as a result of the storm.
    2. Each supplement request should confirm that the requested support does not represent a duplication of benefits, e.g., from insurance or from other Federal agencies such as FEMA.
    3. The e-mail request must be submitted by the Authorized Organizational Representative (AOR) to the funding Institute or Center’s NIH Grants Management Officer (GMO) who signed the grant’s NoA.
    4. The request must reflect the complete grant number in the subject line; include the name of the grantee, the name of the initiating PI, the PI’s telephone number, fax number, and e-mail address; and comparable identifying information for the AOR.
    5. Requests may also be submitted using the PHS-398 face page, budget page, and budget justification page, but in all cases requests should be sent to the GMO in the Institute or Center that made the award. Under no circumstances should requests be sent to the Center for Scientific Review.
Back to Top

  O. Construction/Alterations/Renovations/Repairs

  1. Are there funds available to institutions damaged during a natural disaster for alterations and renovations (A&R) to repair the damage?
    In cases where funds are needed for A&R, you may request such support in the form of an administrative supplement to the grant or grants requiring the A&R assistance. As with other administrative supplement requests for this recovery, the grantee institution should confirm in writing that the requested support does not represent a duplication of benefits, e.g. from insurance or from FEMA.  Grantees should contact the NIH Grants Management Officer(s) responsible for the effected grants.

    In addition, the grantee is allowed to rebudget up to $500,000 for A&R in a single budget period unless such rebudgeting would constitute a change in scope. Whether this constitutes a change in scope is best determined through discussion with the relevant project officer. Final charges for A&R must reflect offsets of all recoveries from other parties (insurance).

    If the rebudgeting results in an A&R project exceeding $500,000, NIH will consider the rebudgeting to be a change in scope. The grantee must then submit the documentation specified in “Construction, Modernization, or Major Alteration and Renovation of Research Facilities” in the NIH Grants Policy Statement to the NIH Institute or Center. This Construction section of the NIH Grants Policy Statement may be found at: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/policy/nihgps/HTML5/section_10/10_construction__modernization__or_major_alteration_and_renovation_of_research_facilities.htm.
Back to Top

  P. Consortia

  1. I have moved my work to another institution until my lab reopens. Do I need prior approval to add a consortium project if I have funds available?
    The grantee institution has the authority under all activity codes supported by NIH to transfer substantive programmatic work to a 3rd party (by consortium agreement) without prior approval from NIH under the following conditions: 1) The consortium is not a foreign component, and 2) the addition of the consortium would not result in a change of scope. Accordingly, these actions must be coordinated with your institution.

    If the action requires additional funds the grantee must contact the NIH Institute or Center with a prior approval request. As with any change in a project, if the grantee has any questions or concerns regarding an action, they are advised to contact their NIH Program Officer for scientific questions and the Grants Management Specialist for administrative issues. Prior approval information can be found in the Grants Policy Statement at https://grants.nih.gov/grants/policy/nihgps/HTML5/section_8/8.1_changes_in_project_and_budget.htm#Prior.
Back to Top

  Q. Lab Displacement

  1. As a PI, what should I do if I cannot access my lab for a period of time or the lab is displaced? What about the costs?
    Investigators need to contact their institutions to obtain approval for the provision of interim space and implement procedures for supporting the cost of such space. Once the lab is re-opened and research activity can resume or an interim location has been established, investigators may, in accordance with the policy of their institution, purchase replacement supplies and/or equipment with current funds. Unless restricted by term of award, unobligated balances may be used without prior approval. If specific funds are restricted, you should contact the Grants Management Officer listed on the NoA.

This page last updated on January 11, 2018 
Content Manager: GrantsPolicy@od.nih.gov 
Technical Issues: E-mail OER Webmaster