Updated Guidance for Videos Submitted as NIH Application Materials
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
This Notice revises the Video formats instructions in the NIH Guide Notice NOT-OD-12-141, referenced in NIH Grants Policy Statement Section 2.3.7, in order to maintain compatibility with NIH information systems. All other portions of NOT-OD-12-141 and the NIH Grants Policy Statement Section 2.3.7 remain in effect, including guidance on allowable content..
What Has Changed:
- Effective immediately, post-submission videos do not need to be embedded in .pdf files.
- Acceptable formats for videos are .mp4, .mov, .avi, and .wmv.
What Will Not Change:
- Videos may only be submitted as post-submission materials and not embedded in or linked from the application materials unless expressly instructed to do so in the funding opportunity announcement instructions.
- If multiple videos are submitted for the same application, the aggregate length must not exceed 2 minutes for single-project applications and 5 minutes for multi-component applications.
- The file size limit remains at 25 MB.
Please direct all inquiries to: