Notice of Clarification Regarding the Additional Educational Information Required for PA-14-150 "Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NSRA) Individual Predoctoral MD/PhD or Other Dual-Doctoral Degree Fellowship (F30)"
Notice Number: NOT-OD-14-090
Release Date: May 16, 2014
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
This Notice serves to reiterate and clarify instructions provided in Section IV.2 Content and Form of Application Submission, Other Project Information Form, Other Attachments of PA-14-150. Specifically,
- The information specified below must be provided in a document with the file name "Additional Educational Information"
- This document must be attached to the Other Project Information form under the Other Attachments section.
- All applications lacking this attachment will be considered incomplete and will not proceed to review.
Part 2. Section IV.2. Content and Form of Application Submission Other Project Information Form
The following additional educational information is required and should be attached under Other Attachments:
- Describe the institution's dual-degree program in which the applicant is enrolled. Provide some background on the dual-degree program including general program outcomes, such as the completion rate and the percentage of program graduates who are in academic research positions post-training. Describe the structure of the dual-degree program, and required milestones and their usual timing (e.g., number of courses, any teaching and clinical requirements, and qualifying exams). The sequencing of the applicant's graduate research and medical (or other health professional) school years should also be described. Describe the progress and status of the F30 applicant in relation to the program’s timeline, indicating when the applicant matriculated into the program and when the applicant is likely to transition to clinical years of the dual-degree program. Describe any clinical tutorials during the graduate research years and any activities to ease transition from the graduate to the clinical years of the dual-degree program. Describe any research-associated activities during the clinical years of the dual-degree program. Describe the frequency and method by which the program formally monitors and evaluates a student’s progress. This information is typically provided by the director of the dual-degree program or the department chair. The name of the individual providing the information should be included at the end of the attachment.
- Provide justification for the duration of support requested in terms of the research and clinical training proposed. Include the number of anticipated months of research training and of clinical training.
- Note that scores for standardized exams (e.g., MCAT, GRE) as well as a listing of the applicant’s courses and grades must be included in the Fellowship Applicant Biographical Sketch, and NOT in this attachment.
- Please name this attachment “Additional Educational Information.”
The filename provided for each “Other Attachment” will be the name used for the bookmark in the electronic application in eRA Commons.
Please direct all inquiries to:
Henry Khachaturian, Ph.D.
Acting NIH Research Training Officer
NIH Office of Extramural Programs