U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Public Health Service
PHS 398 (Revised 3/2016)
All notable changes made to PHS 398 instructions and form pages are listed at the bottom of this page (updated 03/25/2016).
Downloadable Instructions and Form Files
PHS 398 Instructions - 3/2016 Revision PDF (441 KB)
PHS 398 Fillable Forms - 3/2016 Revision
The links below allow for the downloading of individual and combined form files in MS Word and PDF formats. Some of the files are large and may take a few minutes to download. Please see the "Help Downloading Files" section of the Digital Standards page for information on using the fillable PDF forms.
|Fillable Individual PHS 398 Forms
(These forms are to be used only with paper submissions using the PHS 398. Do not use the PDF samples provided below in an SF424 (R&R) application. These are fillable PDF forms which will cause an error in the electronic submission of an SF424 (R&R) application. See the SF424 (R&R) application page for appropriate formats to be used for electronic submission.
|Form Page 1: Face Page||MS Word||PDF (414 KB)|
|Form Page 1-continued: Additional form for use only if Multiple PD/PIs are proposed. Do not include if submitting a single-PD/PI application.||MS Word||PDF (434 KB)|
|Form Page 2: Summary, Relevance, Project/Performance Sites, Senior/Key Personnel, Other Significant Contributors, and Human Embryonic Stem Cells||MS Word||PDF (565 KB)|
|Project/Performance Site Format Page - use only if additional space is needed.||MS Word||PDF (282 KB)|
|Form Page 3: Research Grant Table of Contents||MS Word||PDF (273 KB)|
|Form Page 4: Detailed Budget for Initial Budget Period||MS Word||PDF (2 MB)|
|Form Page 5: Budget for Entire Proposed Project Period||MS Word||PDF (342 KB)|
|Resources Format Page||MS Word||PDF (281 KB)|
|Checklist Form Page||MS Word||PDF (528 KB)|
|Continuation Format Page||MS Word||PDF (224 KB)|
|PHS Inclusion Enrollment Report||PDF (118 KB)|
|Mailing Address||MS Word||PDF (27 KB)|
|Other Support Format Page: Example||MS Word||PDF (179 KB)|
|All Personnel Report Format Page||MS Word||PDF (281 KB)|
|Combined PHS 398 Forms File
Does NOT include the Biographical Sketch page, Continuation Page, or any of the Sample/Example pages (Biosketch Sample, Other Support Sample). See Individual Form file links above.
|Combined PHS 398 Form Files
|Combined PHS 398 Form Files
(PDF) (659 KB)
Biosketches: see https://grants.nih.gov/grants/forms/biosketch.htm
For Questions Related to:
- Application Procedures/Forms Submission: contact GrantsInfo at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-710-0267.
Note: Other software packages for completing these applications may be available from other sources; however, it is essential that the type size and format specifications are met. Otherwise application processing may be delayed, or the application may be returned to the applicant without review.
Disclaimer: Reference to these software packages neither constitutes nor should be inferred to be an endorsement or recommendation of any product, service, or enterprise by the National Institutes of Health, any other agency of the United States Government, or any employee of the United States Government. No warranties are stated or implied.
- New biographical sketch format page and clarifications: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-16-080.html.
- Section C. Approach of the research plan has been updated to collect information related to sex as a biological variable, as detailed in https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-15-102.html.
- PHS Inclusion Enrollment Report, Section 5.5.8: combines Planned Enrollment Report and Cumulative Inclusion Enrollment Report forms into a single form
- The five points are replaced by new criteria detailed in Section 5.5.10 Vertebrate Animals, of this application guide, as detailed in https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-16-006.html.
- New authentication of key biological and/or chemical resources attachment in section 5.5.16, as detailed in https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-16-011.html.
- 11/07/2013, Updated PHS 398: The 11/2013 update includes information to support the Biomedical Workforce Initiatives announced in NOT-OD-13-097 and NOT-OD-13-093.
- New PHS 398 (Rev. 8/12) instructions and forms posted 07/25/2013. Please see NIH Guide Notice NOT-OD-13-091, Now Available: PHS 398 Application Forms and Instructions for Application Due Dates on or after September 25, 2013 and NIH Guide Notice NOT-OD-13-092, Modifications to NIH's Planned and Cumulative Inclusion Enrollment Forms.