The NIH is deeply concerned for the health and safety of people involved in NIH research, and about the effects on the biomedical enterprise in the areas affected by the HHS declared public health emergency for COVID-19. Due to the potential exceptional impact, we want to assure our recipient community that NIH will be doing our part to help you continue your research.
This is a rapidly evolving situation and we will provide updated guidance and information as it becomes available.
See page update history.
On This Page:
- Overview presentation (Powerpoint) – updated 7/17/2020
- Overview talking points (Word) – updated 7/17/2020
- NOT-OD-21-026 Extended Guidance for Applicants Preparing Applications During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- NOT-OD-20-163 Extending the Special Exception to the NIH/AHRQ/NIOSH Post-Submission Material Policy During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- NOT-OD-20-179 Extending the Special Exception to the NIH/AHRQ/NIOSH Post-Submission Material Policy During the COVID-19 Pandemic: August/October 2021 Councils
NIH Implementation of OMB Memorandum M-20-26 "Extension of Administrative Relief for Recipients and Applicants of Federal Financial Assistance Directly Impacted by the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) due to Loss of Operations" - 6/25/2020
- Update: Effective October 1, 2020, the flexibility for recipients to continue charging salaries and benefits to active NIH awards consistent with the recipients' policy of paying salaries (under unexpected or extraordinary circumstances), has ended. Any requests after that date will be considered by the funding IC on a case by case basis. As a reminder, recipients must maintain appropriate records and cost documentation in order to substantiate the charging of any salaries and other project activities costs related to interruption of operations or services.
- M-20-26 issued June 18, 2020: Extension of Administrative Relief for Recipients and Applicants of Federal Financial Assistance Directly Impacted by the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) due to Loss of Operations
- NOT-OD-20-122: Guidance for Applicants Preparing Applications for the Fall 2020 Due Dates During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- NOT-OD-20-123: Special Exception to the NIH/AHRQ/NIOSH Post-Submission Material Policy During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- NOT-OD-20-173: Notice of Limited Availability of Research Non-human Primates
- Late Applications
Temporary Extension of Eligibility
- NOT-DK-21-054: Temporary Extension of Eligibility for the NIDDK K01 Mentored Research Scientist Development Award During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- NOT-DE-20-031: Notice of Temporary Extension of Eligibility for the NIDCR Dual Degree Dentist Scientist Pathway to Independence Award (K99/R00)
- NOT-AI-20-068: Notice to Extend Eligibility for Submission of NIAID K99 /R00 Pathway to Independence Award Applications (and Physician-Scientist K99/R00) due to COVID–related Disruptions
- NOT-AI-20-067: Notice to Extend Eligibility for Submission to PAR-19-371, NIAID Career Transition Award (K22 Independent Clinical Trial Not Allowed) due to COVID-related Disruptions
- NOT-OD-20-158: Temporary Extension of Eligibility for the NIH K99/R00 Pathway to Independence Award During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- NOT-NS-20-076: Notice to Extend Eligibility for Submission of Diversity K22 Applications due to COVID–related Disruptions
- NOT-GM-20-086: Flexibilities Available to Applicants and Recipients of Federal Financial Assistance Affected by COVID-19
- NOT-GM-20-026: Guidance for Cost-Related Flexibilities Available to Support of Competitive Research (SCORE) Award Recipients Affected by COVID-19 - NOT-GM-20-026
- M-20-11 issued March 9, 2020: Administrative Relief for Recipients and Applicants of Federal Financial Assistance Directly Impacted by the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Contracts must be handled on a case by case basis. Details regarding any contract must be directed to the cognizant Contracting Officer. Salary changes must be handled by the contracting officer.
- NOT-OD-20-087: Guidance for NIH-funded Clinical Trials and Human Subjects Studies Affected by COVID-19
- FDA Guidance on Conduct of Clinical Trials of Medical Products during COVID-19 Pandemic
- OHRP COVID-19 Resources
- Considerations for New and Ongoing Human Subjects Research During the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency (Word) - 10/26/2020
- NOT-OD-21-006 - Exceptions to Use of a Single IRB During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Public Health Emergency - 10/23/2020
- COVID-19 Pandemic Contingency Planning for Animal Care and Use Programs
- NOT-OD-20-088: Flexibilities for Assured Institutions for Activities of Institutional Animal Care and Use Committees (IACUCs) Due to COVID-19
- Coronavirus Update: Additional Guidance for NIH Peer Reviewers (August/October 2021 Council) – January 5, 2021
- Coronavirus Update: Additional Guidance for NIH Peer Reviewers (Summer 2020 Meetings/August-October 2020 Council) – June 9, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Guidance for Peer Reviewers
- Based on NIH Guidance on Travel and Meetings , in-person NIH peer review meetings are being held in alternate formats. Scientific review officers will be in contact with peer reviewers about these changes.
NOT-MH-20-073: Request for Information (RFI): Fostering Innovative Research to Improve Mental Health Outcomes Among Minority and Health Disparities Populations
- Responses due by October 30, 2020
Funding Opportunities Specific to COVID-19
- "Open Mike" Blog: COVID-19 Funding and Funding Opportunities
All COVID-19 research grant funding
Grant data are updated each weekend. Use the RePORTER search screen to filter these results by other criteria, including individual special appropriations.
A Federal-wide listing of acquisitions related to the COVID-19 response is available from the Federal Procurement Data System in a special COVID-19 report.
- New NIH Resource to Analyze COVID-19 Literature: The COVID-19 Portfolio Tool
- Supporting Yourself and Your Trainees During the Coronavirus Pandemic Online Workshops
- NIH Office of Intramural Training & Education: Virtual NIH Activities for Trainees Outside the NIH
- NIH Website: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- CDC Website: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) including its guidance for Institutes of Higher Education and for mental health and coping
- WHO Website: Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak
- General Information on NIH Extramural Response to Natural Disasters and Other Emergencies