System for Award Management (SAM) - Organization Registration

Your organization must be registered in SAM and your SAM credentials must be active at time of grant submission and time of grant award. A yearly renewal process is required to keep your credentials active. SAM uses the term "entity" to refer to your organization.

Purpose of SAM

SAM is a system required by the federal government to collect information on organizations applying for grants and contracts.

Before Registering with SAM
  • Use the SAM Status Tracker on Link to Non-U.S. Government Site - Click for Disclaimer to check your organization's registration status. You may also contact your grant administrator, financial department, chief financial officer, or authorizing official to identify whether your organization has registered with SAM. If your organization is already registered, take note of who is listed as your E-Business Point of Contact (EBiz POC).

    Your EBiz POC provides a critical role in maintaining your SAM entity information. They are also responsible for key tasks in, such as, authorizing the individuals that are able to submit grant applications on behalf of your organization.
How to Register with SAM

To register with SAM, go to the SAM website Link to Non-U.S. Government Site - Click for Disclaimer and have the following pieces of information ready:

Where to Find Help
How long does it take to register with SAM?

Generally, it takes between 7 and 10 business days to register with SAM and an additional business day for to recognize the information. It can take longer if  EIN (U.S.) or NCAGE (non-U.S.) needs to be obtained.

  • U.S. organizations must first have an Employer Identification Number (EIN). If your organization does not have an EIN, you should allow an additional two weeks to request and obtain an EIN from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Link to Non-U.S. Government Site - Click for Disclaimer .
  • Non-U.S. organizations must first have an NCAGE code. If your organization does not have a NCAGE code, you should allow an additional 3 business days to obtain one.

NOTE: The EBiz POC must renew your organizations SAM registration annually. It will take 3-5 business days for your renewal to become active and replace your current registration. Updates made in SAM are reflected in the next business day. Additional time may be needed if the structure of your organization has changed since your last renewal.

Employer Identification Number (EIN)

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number (TIN) and is a nine-digit number (e.g., 12-3456789) used to identify a business entity. You may apply for an EIN through the Internal Revenue Service online Link to Non-U.S. Government Site - Click for Disclaimer . Learn more about EINs Link to Non-U.S. Government Site - Click for Disclaimer .

International organizations do not need an EIN to submit grant applications. Instead, they can use 44-4444444 in the EIN field.


The Commercial And Government Entity (CAGE) Code is a five-character ID number used extensively within the federal government, assigned by the Department of Defense's Defense Logistics Agency (DLA). The CAGE code is used to support a variety of mechanized systems throughout the government and provides a standardized method of identifying a given legal entity at a specific location. 

If your organization is located within the United States, you do not need to have a CAGE code prior to SAM registration. Once your entity registration is submitted for processing, the information will be routed to DLA for CAGE Code assignment. Once the CAGE Code has been approved, it will be sent back to SAM and added to your entity registration.  You will be notified if there are any issues with your CAGE code assignment and provided with corrective instructions.
If your organization is located outside the United States, you will need to obtain an NCAGE code prior to registering with SAM.


CAGE codes for entities located outside the United States and its territories are called NCAGE codes.

Assignment of NCAGE codes are governed internationally as part of the NATO Codification System (NCS).  An NCAGE is required for all foreign entities or the registration will be considered incomplete. You can submit your request for an NCAGE Code by going to the NATO Support Activity (NSPA) NCAGE Request Tool at Link to Non-U.S. Government Site - Click for Disclaimer . It can take up to 3 business days to obtain a NCAGE code.

Phone: 269-961-7766