Clarification and Update: Salary Supplementation and Compensation on Research Career Development ("K") Awards

Notice Number: NOT-OD-17-094

Key Dates
Release Date: July 24, 2017

Related Announcements

NOT-NS-22-109 - Notice of Change to the Maximum Salary for Clinician-Scientists for PAR-22-022 NINDS Alzheimers Disease and Alzheimers Disease-Related Dementias (AD/ADRD) Advanced Postdoctoral Career Transition Award to Promote Diversity (K99/R00)

NOT-NS-22-108 - Notice of Change to the maximum salary for clinician-scientists for PAR-21-327 and PAR-21-328 Career Transition Award for NINDS Intramural Clinician-Scientists (K22)

NOT-NS-22-107 - Notice of Change to the maximum salary for clinician-scientists for PAR-21-153 and PAR-21-234 NINDS faculty Development Award to Promote Diversity in Neuroscience Research (K01)

PA-22-051 - AHRQ Mentored Career Enhancement Awards for Established Investigators in Patient-Centered Outcome Research (K18)

PA-22-050 - AHRQ Patient-Centered Outcomes Research (PCOR) Mentored Clinical Scientist Career Development Award (K08)

PA-22-049 - AHRQ Patient-Centered Outcomes Research (PCOR) Mentored Research Scientist Career Development Award (K01)

Issued by
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Agency for Health Care Research and Quality (AHRQ)


The purpose of this notice is to clarify and update policies for Research Career Development ("K") Awards.

Salary Supplementation and Compensation during the Entire Career ("K") award
The recipient institution may supplement the NIH or AHRQ salary contribution on "K" awards up to a level that is consistent with the institution's salary scale.  For effort directly committed to the "K" award, salary supplementation is allowable, but must be from non-Federal sources (including institutional sources).  Non-Federal or institutional supplementation of salary must not require extra duties or responsibilities that would interfere with the goals of the "K" award.  For effort not directly committed to the "K" award, "K" award recipients may devote effort, with compensation, on Federal or non-Federal sources as the Program Director/Principal Investigator (PD/PI) or in another role (e.g., co-Investigator), as long the specific aims of the other supporting grant(s) differ from those of the "K" award.


Please direct all inquiries to:

Division of Biomedical Research Workforce
Office of Extramural Programs
Office of Extramural Research

Please direct all AHRQ inquiries to:
Division of Research Education
Office of Extramural Research, Education, and Priority Populations
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality