Reminder: NIH & AHRQ Grant Application Changes for Due Dates On or After May 25, 2016
Notice Number: NOT-OD-16-081
Release Date: March 23, 2016
- Notice of Change in Application Due Date for RFA-NS-16-023
- Restructured and Streamlined Application Guides and Supplemental Instructions Available for Applications Due Dates On or After May 25, 2016
- Clarifications and Consolidated Biosketch Instructions and Format Pages Available for Applications with Due Dates On or After May 25, 2016
- Plan to Move to Updated Forms (FORMS-D) for Administrative Supplement, Successor-In-Interest and Change of Institution Opportunities
- Impact of Grant Application Form Update (FORMS-D) on Late and Continuous Submission Applications
- Advanced Notice of Coming Requirements for Formal Instruction in Rigorous Experimental Design and Transparency to Enhance Reproducibility: NIH and AHRQ Institutional Training Grants, Institutional Career Development Awards, and Individual Fellowships
- Implementing Rigor and Transparency in NIH & AHRQ Career Development Award Applications
- Implementing Rigor and Transparency in NIH & AHRQ Research Grant Applications
- NIH & AHRQ Change Font Guidelines for Applications to Due Dates On or After May 25, 2016
- NIH & AHRQ Announce New Form for PHS Awarding Component and Peer Review Requests
- NIH & AHRQ Announce Transition to New Research Training Table Formats for 2016 and Upcoming Release of the xTRACT System
- Simplification of the Vertebrate Animals Section of NIH Grant Applications and Contract Proposals
- NIH & AHRQ Announce Upcoming Changes to Policies, Instructions and Forms for 2016 Grant Applications
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
This Notice reminds the biomedical and health services research communities of announced changes to grant application policies and instructions for due dates on or after May 25, 2016 (NOT-OD-16-004).
These changes are implemented with our FORMS-D application forms and instructions. Applicants must use FORMS-D for due dates on or after May 25, 2016 and must use FORMS-C for due dates on or before May 24, 2016.
The changes focus on the following areas:
- Rigor and transparency in research grant applications (including small business and complex research grant applications) - NOT-OD-16-011 and NOT-OD-16-012
- Applicants must use the new "Authentication of Key Biological and/or Chemical Resources" attachment to briefly describe methods used to ensure the identity and validity of key biological and/or chemical resources.
- Similar changes for institutional training and individual fellowship applications will be implemented as early as FY2017 (NOT-OD-16-034).
Until that time, applicants must not use the "Plan for Instruction in Methods for Enhancing Reproducibility" attachment or the "Authentication of Key Biological and/or Chemical Resources" attachment unless specifically requested in a funding opportunity announcement.
- Vertebrate animals (NIH only) - NOT-OD-16-006
- Applicants must answer new euthanasia questions on the PHS 398 Cover Page Supplement and PHS Fellowship Supplemental forms when vertebrate animals are involved, instead of addressing the method of euthanasia in the Vertebrate Animals attachment.
- Applicants must provide inclusion data on a new, consolidated PHS Inclusion Enrollment Report form.
- Data Safety Monitoring Plans
- Applicants must provide a new "Data Safety Monitoring Plan" attachment when their project includes a clinical trial.
- Research Training - NOT-OD-16-007
- PHS Awarding Component and Peer Review Requests - NOT-OD-16-008
- Applicants must use a new PHS Assignment Request Form to communicate requests pertinent to the assignment and initial peer review of applications.
- New Font Guidelines - NOT-OD-16-009
- Biosketch Clarifications - NOT-OD-16-080
Note: Appendix policy changes originally mentioned in NOT-OD-16-004 are on hold until further notice and will not be part of the initial roll-out of FORMS-D instructions.
Availability of FORMS-D Forms and Instructions
New restructured FORMS-D application guides will be available by March 25, 2016.
In most cases, FORMS-D application packages will be available at least 60 days prior to the first due date on or after May 25, 2016. During a short transition period, applicants may need to choose between FORMS-C and FORMS-D application packages/opportunities based on due date.
See NOT-OD-16-064 for special instructions for continuous submission and late applications.
See NOT-OD-16-068 for transition plan for administrative supplement, successor-in-interest and change of institution opportunities.
Please direct all inquiries to: