NIH/AHRQ Now Using Version 2 of SF424 (R&R) and Agency-Specific Electronic Forms For SBIR/STTR, Conferences/Scientific Meetings, and Other Specific Funding Opportunities
Notice Number: NOT-OD-06-103
Release Date: September 15, 2006
National Institutes of Health (NIH), (http://www.nih.gov)
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), (http://www.ahrq.gov/)
Grants.gov and NIH/AHRQ recently announced implementation plans for Version 2 of the SF424 (R&R) and agency-specific (labeled PHS 398) electronic application forms (see NOT-OD-06-078). Funding Opportunity Announcements (FOAs) for the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs, Conference/Scientific Meetings, and other specific funding opportunities noted below have been updated to Version 2 application forms.
In addition, note that the following specific funding opportunities MUST now use Version 2 Application Forms:
- PAR-06-095 NIDCD Translational Research Grants (R21)
- PAR-06-118 AHRQ Grants for Health Services Research Dissertation (R36)
- PAR-06-217 Mental Health Dissertation Research Grant To Increase Diversity (R36)
- PAR-06-293 Quick-Trials for Imaging and Image-Guided Interventions: Exploratory Grants (R21)
- PAR-06-294 Small Grants Program for Cancer Epidemiology (R03)
- PAR-06-313 Cancer Prevention Research Small Grant Program (R03)
- PAR-06-420 Brain Disorders in the Developing World: Research Across the Lifespan (R21)
- PAR-06-448 AHRQ Small Research Grant Program (R03)
- PAR-06-451 Quick-Trials for Novel Cancer Therapies: Exploratory Grants (R21)
- PAR-06-458 Small Grants for Behavioral Research in Cancer Control (R03)
- PAR-06-460 NINDS Clinical Trial Planning Grant (R34)
- IGNORE AUTOMATED EMAILS FROM GRANTS.GOV DURING UPDATE
The emails only include the Opening and Closing dates of the initial application package and do not reflect the Opening and Closing dates of the entire FOA. Looking at the email would lead one to believe that we have just closed the FOA, this is not the case. Further, the emails instruct users to pick up the new application package and include a link to the initial application package (the Version 1 application package that we are phasing out).
Applicants should go directly to the NIH Guide (http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/index.html) to locate the opportunity of interest and follow the Apply for Grant Electronically button to ensure access to the updated application form package.
- We have added the Version 2 form packages to existing FOAs, so the opportunity numbers have not changed.
- There will be a short period of time when both the old and new form packages will be seen on the Grants.gov download screen. Whenever both entries are listed, the package labeled “VERSION-2-FORMS” in the Competition ID field MUST be used. To help in the transition, NIH has developed a splash screen that will alert users to select the Version 2 package. However, the splash screen will only be visible when using the NIH Guide and the download button from within the NIH Guide FOA to find and download opportunities.
- Once FOAs are updated with the new Version 2 form package, Grants.gov will no longer accept applications with the older package. You must use the updated form package. Any application “in the works” for the next receipt date will need to be moved to the new form package (i.e., download new forms and cut-and-paste content from one form to the other).
- If your business office provides to Principal Investigators versions of the form packages that are pre-populated with your organization’s information, you will want to make sure your form package templates are updated.
- To assist you in identifying the form version used to create an application package, NIH/AHRQ have populated the Competition ID of new forms packages with the label “VERSION-2-FORMS”. The Competition ID appears at the top of the page when you open an application package with the PureEdge viewer. Similarly, the appropriate application guides will be labeled Version 1 and Version 2 on the cover page and within the footers. The SF424 (R&R) Application and Electronic Submission Information page includes links to Version 1 and Version 2 of the Application Guide and a short overview of notable changes in each version.
The following resources continue to be available for assistance in the electronic submission of grant applications to NIH/AHRQ through Grants.gov:
Grants.gov Customer Support
Hours: M-F 7:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m. ET
eRA Service Desk
Phone: 301-402-7469 or 866-504-9552 (Toll Free)
Hours: M-F 7:00 a.m.– 8:00 p.m.
Inquiries regarding this Notice should be directed to:
Office of Extramural Research
National Institutes of Health