Notice of Special Interest (NOSI): Training Modules for Enhancing Biomedical Research Workforce Training
First Available Due Date:
June 19, 2023
June 20, 2023
PAR-20-296 - Modules for Enhancing Biomedical Research Workforce Training (R25 Clinical Trial not Allowed)
National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS)
Sexual and Gender Minority Research Office (SGMRO)
The purpose of this Notice of Special Interest (NOSI) is to inform applicants of the topic areas for the June 19, 2023 application due date for the NIGMS Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) PAR-20-296 “Modules for Enhancing Biomedical Research Workforce Training (R25 - Clinical Trial Not Allowed)”.
Applications must address one of the topics below. Topics not on this list will be considered unresponsive and such applications will be withdrawn without review. Only one topic may be addressed per application.
- Enhancing Wellness and Resiliency: Navigating the biomedical research training pathway can be overwhelming and lead to stress, anxiety, and self-doubt. Applications are encouraged for the development and implementation of training modules that effectively provide individuals with the knowledge and skills to enhance their wellness and resiliency and ultimate success within the biomedical research training environment.
- Addressing Structural Racism and Discrimination: There is increasing appreciation in the scientific community about the need to address the impacts of structural racism and discrimination on trainee career development (see NOT-GM-21-033). Applications are encouraged for the development and implementation of training modules focused on addressing structural racism and discrimination to reduce disparities in recruitment, retention, and success, and to promote access, inclusion, equity, and accessibility in the research training environment. Modules should focus on how to create research training environments optimized for productive learning and research - free from harassment, intimidation, and discrimination - where all participants feel safe and are treated in a respectful and supportive manner. Applications must specify the skills and knowledge that will be gained by the participants and how the module will help the participants address the structures and ways of thinking that are barriers to success.
- Creating Safe Research Environments: NIGMS will support the development of training modules that will help catalyze a strong culture of responsibility and obligation to maintain high standards for physical, chemical, and biological safety in research training environments. Specifically, environments in which physical, chemical, and biological safety is prioritized, and the core values and behaviors of leadership and the research and training communities emphasize safety over competing goals. Applications must specify the skills and knowledge that will be gained by the participants and how the module will help the participants address the structures and ways of thinking that are barriers to success.
- Enhancing Program Evaluation Capacity: NIGMS encourages applications on the development of evaluation capacity at institutions with biomedical research training programs. The proposed modules should inform program directors and administrators about effective and practical approaches to evaluate biomedical research training programs. The modules are expected to be developed with input from a range of experts (e.g., social scientists, statisticians, education professionals, etc.).
This Notice applies to the June 19, 2023 due date for the following FOA:
- PAR-20-296 - “Modules for Enhancing Biomedical Research Workforce Training (R25 - Clinical Trial Not Allowed)"
All instructions in the SF424 (R&R) Application Guide and the funding opportunity announcement used for submission must be followed, with the following additions:
- For funding consideration, applicants must include “NOT-GM-23-031” (without quotation marks) in the Agency Routing Identifier field (box 4B) of the SF424 R&R form. Applications without this information in box 4B will not be considered for this initiative.
- Applications must specify learning goals and the skills and knowledge that will be gained by the participants.
Applications nonresponsive to terms of this NOSI will be withdrawn from consideration for this initiative.
Please direct all inquiries to the Scientific/Research, Peer Review, and Financial/Grants Management contacts in Section VII of the listed funding opportunity announcements.