June 02, 2023
PA-20-272- Administrative Supplements to Existing NIH Grants and Cooperative Agreements (Parent Admin Supp Clinical Trial Optional)
National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS)
The National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS) announces the availability of funds for administrative supplements to NIGMS-funded R01, R15, R16, R35 and R37 research projects and to centers, resources and core facilities from the following NIGMS programs:
- IDeA Networks of Biomedical Research Excellence (INBRE) (P20)
- Centers of Biomedical Research Excellence (COBRE) (P20 and P30)
- Mature Synchrotron Resources for Structural Biology (P30)
- Biomedical Technology Research Resources (P41)
- NIGMS National and Regional Resources (R24)
- Biomedical Technology Development and Dissemination Centers (RM1)
- Collaborative Program Grants for Multidisciplinary Teams (RM1)
- Native American Research Centers for Health (NARCH) (S06)
- National Centers for Cryoelectron Microscopy (U24)
- National Network for Cryoelectron Tomography (U24)
- Biomedical Knowledgebases (U24)
- Biomedical Data Repositories (U24)
- Coordination Center for the Models of Infectious Disease Agent Study (MIDAS) Program (U24)
- The NIGMS Human Genetic Cell Repository (U42)
- Institutional Development Award (IDeA) Networks for Clinical and Translational Research (IDeA-CTR)(U54)
For R01, R15, R16, R35, and R37 research projects, funds are intended for the purchase of a single unit of equipment (to include components as necessary, e.g., for a working microscope) for the benefit of the project's research plan.
For centers, resources and core facilities from the programs listed above, funds are intended for the purchase of needed equipment that will enhance user access to and/or the impact of the resource. For other research projects listed above, funds are intended to enhance the impact of the project goals.
Only single requests are permitted; linked requests submitted by two or more NIGMS grantees at the same institution with similar equipment needs are not allowed.
The parent award must be active when the supplement application is submitted (e.g., within the originally reviewed and approved project period and not currently in a no-cost extension) and have a project period end date at least one year beyond the application due date.
Requests will be prioritized based on the need for the equipment to conduct the research supported by the parent grant.
Application and Submission Information
Applications for this initiative must be submitted using the following opportunity or its subsequent reissued equivalent.
- PA-20-272 - Administrative Supplements to Existing NIH Grants and Cooperative Agreements (Parent Admin Supp Clinical Trial Optional)
All instructions in the SF424 (R&R) Application Guide and PA-20-272 must be followed, with the following additions:
- Application Due Date(s) – March 1, 2022 and March 1, 2023, by 5:00 PM local time of applicant organization.
- Only existing awardees of NIGMS R01, R15, R16, R35, R37 and the programs listed above are eligible to apply.
- For funding consideration, applicants must include “NOT-GM-22-017” (without quotation marks) in the Agency Routing Identifier field (box 4B) of the SF424 R&R form. Applications without this information in box 4B will not be considered for this initiative.
- Requests may be for one year of support only.
- Budget limits for all supplements:
- R01, R35, R37: up to $250,000 in direct costs for a single unit of equipment
- R15, R16: up to $100,000 in direct costs for a single unit of equipment
- Centers, resources, core facilities and other projects in the list above: Application budgets are not limited, but NIGMS anticipates most awards will not exceed $250,000. Applicants considering requests for equipment exceeding $250,000 are strongly encouraged to contact their Program Officer at least two weeks prior to submitting the application to discuss the request.
- Supplement awards may provide support above the established program budget limits for the parent grant award
- Instructions for the Budget Justification:
- The budget justification should begin with a sentence describing the requested equipment: item name, manufacturer and intended use. A concise statement as to why the equipment is needed for the project, center, resource or core facility should follow (e.g., replace broken equipment, enhance user access to new technology, etc.).
- Provide a brief statement regarding the current amount of unobligated grant funds and expenditure plans in order to demonstrate the need for additional funds. This should include unobligated funds from prior budget periods for grants not having automatic carryover.
- If the entire purchase price of the equipment item is being requested, provide justification that the entire requested cost amount is reasonable, allocable and necessary to the success of the project.
- If a partial amount of the purchase price is being requested, explain how the balance of funds will be provided from institutional or other sources, and provide a letter of support corroborating the financial commitment.
- Include price quotes or other documentation for the requested equipment.
- NIGMS encourages requests that reflect institutional commitment whenever possible. This is not a requirement for the supplement application to be considered for funding.
- Instructions for the Research Strategy
- The research strategy section is limited to 2 pages and should present the scientific justification for the requested equipment, detailing how it is within the scope of the parent award. For centers, resources and core facilities, the scientific justification should address the anticipated number of users that will access the equipment and how it will enhance the users’ research.
- Provide plans to cover any anticipated future recurring costs associated with the requested equipment (e.g., service contracts, expendable materials, etc.) and plans for training on instrument use and upkeep, if relevant.
Please direct inquiries to the NIGMS Program Officer assigned to the parent grant of the supplement request.