Notice of Special Interest (NOSI): Administrative Supplements for Equipment Purchases for NIGMS-funded Center and Core Facilities
First Available Due Date:
April 30, 2021
May 01, 2021
PA-20-272 - Administrative Supplements to Existing NIH Grants and Cooperative Agreements (Parent Admin Supp Clinical Trial Optional)
National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS)
The National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS) announces the availability of funds for administrative supplements to the following NIGMS-funded centers and resources:
- IDeA Networks of Biomedical Research Excellence (INBRE) (P20)
- Centers of Biomedical Research Excellence (COBRE) (P20 and P30)
- Mature Synchrotron Resources for Structural Biology (P30)
- Biomedical Technology Research Resources (P41)
- NIGMS Legacy Community-Wide Scientific Resources (R24)
- NIGMS National and Regional Resources (R24)
- Collaborative Program Grant for Multidisciplinary Teams (RM1)
- Native American Research Centers for Health (NARCH) (S06)
- Regional Consortia for High Resolution Cryoelectron Microscopy (U24)
- National Centers for Cryoelectron Microscopy (U24)
- National Network for Cryoelectron Tomography (U24)
- Institutional Development Award (IDeA) Program Infrastructure for Clinical and Translational Research (IDeA-CTR)(U54)
These funds are intended for the purchase of needed equipment that will enhance user access to and impact of the resource and are within the scope of the parent project.
The parent award must be active when the supplement application is submitted (e.g. within the originally reviewed and approved project period) and have a project period end date on or beyond 4/30/2022.
Only single requests are permitted; linked requests submitted by two or more NIGMS grantees at the same institution with similar equipment needs are not allowed.
Application and Submission Information
Applications for this initiative must be submitted to PA-20-272 "Administrative Supplements to Existing NIH Grants and Cooperative Agreements (Parent Admin Supp Clinical Trial Optional)" or its subsequent reissuance. Use the research application package labeled “FORMS-F-ADMINSUPP-RESEARCH.”
All instructions in the SF424 (R&R) Application Guide and PA-20-272 must be followed, with the following additions:
- Application Due Date(s) – April 30, 2021, by 5:00 PM local time of applicant organization.
- For funding consideration, applicants must include “NOT-GM-21-029” (without quotation marks) in the Agency Routing Identifier field (box 4B) of the SF424 R&R form. Applications without this information in box 4B will not be considered for this initiative.
- Only electronic submissions will be accepted for this funding opportunity. Use one of the methods described in PA-20-272. Paper submissions and applications submitted as email attachments will be rejected without review.
- Requests may be for one year of support only
- Although no budget limit is provided, NIGMS anticipates most awards will not exceed $250,000. Applicants considering requests for equipment exceeding $250,000 must contact their Program Officer at least two weeks prior to submitting the application to discuss the request. In all cases, the requested supplemental budget cannot exceed the total annual direct cost amount of the parent award.
- Instructions for the Budget Justification
- The budget justification should begin with a sentence describing the requested equipment: item name, manufacturer and intended usage. A concise statement as to why the equipment is needed for the center or resource should follow this (replace broken equipment, enhance user access to new technology, etc.)
- Include a brief statement regarding the current amount of unobligated grant funds and expenditure plans in order to demonstrate the need for additional funds.
- If the entire purchase price of the equipment item is being requested, provide justification that the cost amount is reasonable and allocable to the grant project. If a partial amount of the purchase price is being requested, explain how the balance of funds will be provided from institutional or other sources.
- Include price quotes or other documentation for the requested equipment.
- The Research Strategy section of the application is limited to 2 pages. This section should include a summary or abstract of the funded parent award and should present the scientific justification for the requested equipment.
- NIGMS encourages requests that reflect institutional commitment. Institutional commitment will be taken into consideration when making funding decisions.
Eligible investigators are strongly encouraged to discuss potential requests with their Program Officers before submitting applications.
Please direct all inquiries to:
The NIGMS Program Officer assigned to the parent grant of the supplement request.