Notice of Special Interest(NOSI): Availability of Administrative Supplements for Equipment Purchases for NIGMS Awardees
Release Date: February 05, 2020
First Available Due Date: March 30, 2020
Expiration Date: June 01, 2020
"Administrative Supplements to Existing NIH Grants and Cooperative Agreements (Parent Admin Supp Clinical Trial Optional)"
National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS)
The National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS) announces the availability of funds for Administrative Supplements to NIGMS-funded R01, R35, and R37 awards. These funds are intended for the purchase of single equipment systems with requested direct costs up to $250,000, since equipment in this price range is often difficult to purchase under the parent grant.
Two NIGMS grantees at the same institution with similar equipment needs are encouraged to submit separate requests (with a combined budget of no more than $250,000 direct costs) that cross-reference each other, according to the instructions for the budget justification below. It is expected that the amount of funds requested for such joint purchases will reflect the actual proportion of the time that the shared equipment would be used by each PD/PI.
Application and Submission Information
Applications for this initiative must be submitted to PA-18-591 "Administrative Supplements to Existing NIH Grants and Cooperative Agreements (Parent Admin Supp Clinical Trial Optional)" or its subsequent reissuance. Use the research application package labeled “FORMS-E-ADMINSUPP-RESEARCH.”
All instructions in the SF424 (R&R) Application Guide and PA-18-591 must be followed, with the following additions:
- Application Due Date(s) – March 30, 2020, by 5:00 PM local time of applicant organization.
- The process for Streamlined Submissions using the eRA Commons cannot be used for this initiative.
- For funding consideration, applicants must include “NOT-GM-20-013” (without quotation marks) in the Agency Routing Identifier field (box 4B) of the SF424 R&R form. Applications without this information in box 4B will not be considered for this initiative.
- Requests may be for one year of support only.
- Requests can be for no more than $250,000 in direct costs. However, the requested supplemental budget cannot exceed the total year direct cost amount of the parent award.
- Instructions for the Budget Justification
- If two NIGMS grantees at the same institution are jointly submitting a request for equipment, list the name, grant number, and percent use of each grantee at the top of the Budget Justification. Note that the combined budget may not exceed $250,000 in direct costs.
- Include a brief statement regarding the expenditure of currently available unobligated grant funds, as well as plans to spend remaining funds in order to demonstrate the need for additional funds.
- If the entire purchase price of the equipment item is being requested, provide justification that the cost amount is reasonable and allocable to the grant project. If a partial amount of the purchase price is being requested, explain how the balance of funds will be provided from institutional or other sources, including a supplement to another NIGMS grant at the PD/PI's institution.
- Include price quotes or other documentation for the requested equipment
- The Research Strategy section of the application is limited to 2 pages. This section should include a summary or abstract of the funded parent award and should present the scientific justification for the requested equipment.
- NIGMS encourages requests that reflect institutional commitment. Institutional commitment will be taken into consideration when making funding decisions.
Eligible investigators are strongly encouraged to discuss potential requests with their Program Officer before submitting applications.
Please direct inquiries to the NIGMS Program Officer assigned to the parent grantof the supplement request.