Notice of Clarification of the Percent Effort for PAR-18-679 "NIAID Physician-Scientist Pathway to Independence Award (K99/R00 Clinical Trial Required)"

Notice Number: NOT-AI-19-034

Key Dates
Release Date: January 18, 2019

Related Announcements
PAR-18-679

Issued by
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)

Purpose

The purpose for this Notice is to clarify the level of effort permitted in PAR-18-679 “NIAID Physician-Scientist Pathway to Independence Award (K99/R00 Clinical Trial Required).  The changes are italicized and underlined.

Section III. Eligibility Information

3. Additional Information on Eligibility

Level of Effort

Current Language:

At the time of award, the candidate must have a "full-time" appointment at the academic institution. Candidates are required to commit a minimum of 75% of full-time professional effort (i.e., a minimum of 9 person-months) to their program of career development during the mentored phase. Candidates may engage in other duties as part of the remaining 25% of their full-time professional effort not covered by this award, as long as such duties do not interfere with or detract from the proposed career development program.

Candidates who have VA appointments may not consider part of the VA effort toward satisfying the full time requirement at the applicant institution. Candidates with VA appointments should contact the staff person in the relevant Institute or Center prior to preparing an application to discuss their eligibility. Under certain circumstances, an awardee may submit a written request to the awarding component requesting a reduction in minimum required percent effort, which will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Details on this policy are provided in  NOT-OD-09-036

Revised Language:

At the time of award, the candidate must have a "full-time" appointment at the academic institution. Candidates are required to commit a minimum of 50% of full-time professional effort (i.e., a minimum of 6 person-months) to their program of career development during the mentored phase. Candidates may engage in other duties as part of the remaining up to 50% of their full-time professional effort not covered by this award, as long as such duties do not interfere with or detract from the proposed career development program.

Candidates who have VA appointments may not consider part of the VA effort toward satisfying the full time requirement at the applicant institution. Candidates with VA appointments should contact the staff person in the relevant Institute or Center prior to preparing an application to discuss their eligibility. Under certain circumstances, an awardee may submit a written request to the awarding component requesting a reduction in minimum required percent effort, which will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Details on this policy are provided in  NOT-OD-09-036

All other aspects of the FOA remain the same.

Inquiries

Please direct all inquiries to:

Shawn Drew Gaillard, Ph.D.
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
Telephone: 240-627-3857
Email: Shawn.Gaillard@nih.gov