You are here
Enrichment and Social Housing Resources
The following resources are available to assist PHS awardee institutions in enhancing the care and well-being of animals used in research, testing, and training.
- Enrichment Record. A quarterly e-zine.
Guidelines for General Species Environmental Enrichment (PDF), NIH ARAC.
- Appendix 1: Environmental Enrichment of Rodents (PDF)
- Appendix 2: Environmental Enrichment (Behavioral Management) of Nonhuman Primates (PDF)
- Refinement, ALTEX 31(1), 4-10, 2014. A paper examining the state of animal welfare in the context of refinement.
- Symposium on Social Housing of Laboratory Animals (August 22-23, 2013 | October 5-6, 2014 | March 17-18, 2016)
- Federal Chimpanzee Sanctuary Site Visit Report (PDF), October 2016
- Report on OLAW Site Visits to the National Primate Research Centers (PDF), October 2016
- NIH Guide Notice: NOT-OD-17-010, October 25, 2016. Reports on Site Visits to the National Primate Research Centers and the Federally Supported Chimpanzee Sanctuary.
- Report to Office of Extramural Research Acting Director on Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW) Site Visits to Chimpanzee Facilities (PDF), July 2010
- NIH Guide Notice: NOT-OD-10-121, August 6, 2010. Report on Site Visits to Chimpanzee Facilities and Associated Resources to Aid Grantee Institutions.
- OLAW Special Online Seminar Recording: “AC and OLAW Perspective on Nonhuman Primate Enrichment and Social Housing”
- OLAW FAQ. Is social housing required for nonhuman primates when housed in a research setting?
- OLAW FAQ. Should positive reinforcement training be used for nonhuman primates?
- Environmental Enrichment for Nonhuman Primates Resource Guide. A bibliographic guide published by USDA, National Agricultural Library, Animal Welfare Information Center.
- Environmental Enrichment in the 21st Century. ILAR Journal, 2017, Vol. 58, No. 2, pp 295-307.
- Enrichment for Nonhuman Primates, 2005. A series of six booklets that serve as an introduction to the subject of environmental enrichment for primates housed in a diversity of conditions. The booklets may be downloaded from https://grants.nih.gov/grants/olaw/request_publications.htm where instructions are also available for requesting hard copy.
- A Guide to the Behavior and Enrichment of Laboratory Macaques, 2013. An introductory guide published by Charles River. To request copies, email email@example.com (limit 3 copies per request).
- The Macaque Website , NC3Rs. Provides referenced information and practical guidance on the natural history and behavior of macaques, their care and management in captivity, and ways to assess their welfare.
- Non-Human Primate Well-Being , AJP, 2017, Vol. 79, Issue 1.
- Refining rabbit care, UFAW/RSPCA, 2008. A resource for those working with rabbits in research.
- A Guide to the Behavior & Enrichment of Laboratory Rodents, 2012. An introductory guide published by Charles River. To request copies, email firstname.lastname@example.org (limit 3 copies per request).
This page last updated on January 29, 2018
Technical Issues: E-mail OER Webmaster