You are here
Office of Extramural Programs (OEP)
OEP Organizational Chart (PDF)
OEP provides leadership and expertise in science program management, including program and policy development, interpretation, coordination, oversight, evaluation, training and outreach, for the extramural research community and NIH extramural staff, to promote the highest quality and sustained capability of research and training programs in order to improve public health.
- Support for Conferences and Scientific meetings (R13/U13)
- Extramural Scientist Administrator Training
- NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts
- NIH Loan Repayment Programs
- Research Involving Human Subjects
- Peer Review Policies and Practices
- Program Policy
- Research Training and Research Career Development
- Scientific Workforce Diversity Website
- Biomedical Workforce Modeling and Labor Economics
Acting Director: Jodi Black, PhD
Division of Loan Repayment (DLR)
Administers all aspects of the NIH Extramural Loan Repayment Programs (LRPs) for scientists conducting nonprofit research outside of NIH, and supports application and payment activities for the NIH Intramural Loan Repayment Programs for NIH employee researchers.
- Maria de la Cruz, Financial Analyst
- Angie Deynes, Administrative Support Assistant
- Lorena Geddes, IT Specialist
- Maria Gomez, Program Analyst
- Matthew Lockhart, MBA Program Analyst
- Marguerite Matthews*, Health Science Admin.
- Jill Mattia, PhD, Scientific Program Evaluation Specialist
National Research Service Awards (NRSA) Payback Service Center
Implements NIH-wide service agreements and administers payback requirements for National Research Service Awards.
Director: Steve Boehlert, Director of Operations
Division of Human Subjects Research
Provides leadership, expertise, coordination, and oversight for NIH policies related to peer review, the protection of human research participants in NIH supported grants, and the promulgation of a vibrant pipeline of biomedical researchers.
- Dawn Corbett - NIH Inclusion Policy Officer
- Deysi Duque* - Human Subjects/Clinical Trials Specialist
- Rebecca Poku* - Human Subjects/Clinical Trials Specialist
- Maria Stagnitto* - Systems Analyst
- Antoinette Caliman* - Guide Support
- Amy Mistretta, MPH - Health Science Policy Analyst
- Naci Powell - MPH - Health Science Policy Analyst
Division of Special Programs (DSpP)
Provides scientific program management and oversight of the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) program, the Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) Program, the Academic Research Enhancement Award (AREA) Program, and Support for Conferences and Scientific Meetings (R13/U13). Ensures that NIH extramural staff are trained to meet the ever-changing demands of their job. Communicates funding opportunities and critical information concerning NIH's programs, policies, and procedures to the biomedical research training community through the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts.
Director: Matthew Portnoy, PhD - SBIR/STTR Program Coordinator
Small Business Innovation Research/Small Business Technology Transfer (SBIR/STTR):
- Julie Beaver, SBIR Mathematical Statistician
- J.P. Kim, J.D., M.B.A., M.Sc., M.A.L.S. - SBIR/STTR Program Analyst; NIH Data Sharing Policy Officer
- Patricia Swayne*, SBIR Communications Specialist
- Robert Vinson, SBIR/STTR Program Analyst
- Rosalina Bray, MSc., CEP - NIH Extramural Staff Training Officer
vacant - Instructional Designer, Extramural Staff Training Office
Immediate Office of the Director (IMOD):NIH Deputy Director for Extramural Research: Michael S. Lauer, MD