OER Presenter And/Or Grant Seminar Requests
The Office of Extramural Research (OER) receives requests throughout the year for presenters and to host NIH-focused grant seminars. To maximize our outreach resources, highest priority is given to non-research intensive institutions, venues that are multi-institutional, events offering the greatest number of attendees, and/or those which include audiences NIH is specifically targeting. OER entertains requests for the following and makes accommodations as staff and budget allows:
OER prioritizes requests based on the following types of information:
Due to limited staff within OER and the number of requests received, we frequently connect requestors with NIH Institute and Center (IC) experts. You are welcome to contact an IC Program Officer and/or Grants Manager directly by:
- Number and Types of Institutions Involved
- Expected Number of Attendees
- Target Audience
- Topic of Presentation
- Overall Focus of Event
- Date and Timing
- Determining which IC may be most interested in your research area by searching NIH funded grants through the RePORTER database.
- Using the NIH - Institutes, Offices & Centers Web site to search for the appropriate IC’s division and program personnel. Another option is to contact your Program Officer or Grants Manager from a current grant for guidance.
- Making the request as early as possible. Funds for travel are often allocated early in the fiscal year (October) – but no matter when your event, potential presenters need time to check schedules, obtain travel approval and prepare presentations, etc.
OER does not permit travel reimbursement for its employees by the seminar sponsors. Some ICs do, however, so it is worth asking.
If you are interested in more information or would like to submit a request to OER, please send an email to OER@OD.NIH.GOV including as much information as you can about the event. (See Considerations section above for the type of information in which we are specifically interested.)
OER is continually working to expand our electronic outreach efforts. Stay connected by subscribing to the monthly OER Extramural Nexus and checking out the following OER resources:
Electronic Outreach Resources