OPERA provides leadership and oversight in grants management policy and compliance, intellectual property, and OMB clearances to the extramural research community and NIH extramural staff through policy development, expert guidance, analysis, outreach, and related information dissemination in order to promote effective stewardship of NIH extramural funds in support of health research.
- NIH extramural policies and procedures
- NIH Grants Policy Statement
- NIH Grant and Training Application Forms
- Intellectual Property
- OMB Clearances under the Paperwork Reduction Act
- Grants compliance and oversight
- Financial Conflict of Interest
- NIH implementation of Federal-wide initiatives
Project Clearance Branch
The Project Clearance Branch is the NIH control point for the Office of Management and Budget clearance functions concerning public information collection activities.
Division of Grants Policy
The Division of Grants Policy (DGP) implements new NIH and Federal-wide initiatives, maintains NIH policy source documents such as the Grants Policy Statement, and provides leadership and support to address emerging issues associated with grants policy, electronic research administration, and grants management.
Director: Marcia Hahn
- Samuel Ashe, Assistant Grants Policy Officer
- Scott Cooper, Assistant Grants Policy Officer
- Victoria Bishton, Assistant Grants Policy Officer
- Kaneisha Bailey, Assistant Grants Policy Officer
- Stefanie Harris, Assistant Grants Policy Officer
- Anthony Corio, Grants Policy Analyst
Division of Grants Compliance and Oversight
The Division of Grants Compliance and Oversight (DGCO) is the focal point to advance external compliance with policy and legislative mandates and enhance compliance oversight by recipient institutions. The DGCO also ensures and evaluates the efficient and effective management of extramural resources.
Director: Diane Dean
- John Burke, Assistant Grants Compliance Officer
- Lisa Scott, Assistant Grants Compliance Officer
- Joel Snyderman, Assistant Grants Compliance Officer
- Kathy Hancock, Assistant Grants Compliance Officer
- Sahar Rais, Assistant Grants Compliance Officer
Division of Extramural Inventions and Technology Resources
The Division of Extramural Inventions and Technology Resources (DEITR) works under the auspices of OPERA to develop, implement, and monitor extramural intellectual property policies and invention reporting under the Bayh-Dole Act. The Division also promotes the proper utilization of NIH-funded patents and inventions in extramural programs, and facilitates the distribution and sharing of research resources.
- J.P. Kim, J.D., M.B.A., M.Sc., M.A.L.S. (Director & Policy Officer)
- Mary Fran Deutsch, J.D., Assistant Extramural Inventions Policy Officer
- John Salzman, M.S., M.P.M., Assistant Extramural Inventions Policy Officer
Direct OPERA phone line: 301-435-0949