Most competing "single project" (e.g R01, R03) and "multi-project" (e.g. P50, P01) grant programs at NIH now require electronic application submission. Applicant organizations submit their applications to Grants.gov and must track their applications as they move from Grants.gov to the eRA Commons, NIH's system for grants administration, to complete the submission process.There are several electronic options to submit your application to NIH.
You can use the ASSIST system to prepare, submit and track your application online. You can download an application package from Grants.gov, complete the forms offline, submit the completed forms to Grants.gov and track your application in eRA Commons. Or, you can use other institutional system-to-system solutions to prepare and submit your application to Grants.gov and track your application in eRA Commons. Learn more.
Regardless of the submission option chosen, the process follows the same basic steps.
Make Sure To...
- Register early! Registration at both Grants.gov and eRA Commons is required, can take 8 weeks or more and MUST be completed before the submission deadline. Learn more.
- Verify that your organization is registered with the new System for Award Management (SAM). You must maintain an active entity registration. This registration must be renewed annually through the SAM.gov web site. Use the SAM.gov "Manage Entity" function to manage your entity registrations. See the Grants Registrations User Guide at https://www.sam.gov for additional information.
- Carefully follow the requirements found in the application guide and funding opportunity announcement. Instructions in the FOA supersede those found in the application guide.
- Check your application for common errors before you submit (use our Annotated Forms for extra tips).
- Correct any errors or warnings before the submission deadline.
- Verify that your application is viewable in the eRA Commons. If you cannot view the application in the Commons, NIH can't review it!
- Submit early. The best way to reduce stress and ensure successful submission is to submit well ahead of the due date.
- Target Timeline for Single-Project ASSIST Support (PDF - 54 KB)
- Electronic Submission Transition Timeline for Multi-project Applications (PDF)
- Active multi-project FOAs that require electronic submission (Report)
- History of move from paper to electronic applications. (PDF - 31 KB)