ASSIST (https://public.era.nih.gov/assist) is NIH's online system for the preparation, submission and tracking of grant applications through Grants.gov to NIH.
- Secure web-based data entry
- Collaboration of multiple users
- Pre-submission validation of many NIH and Grants.gov business rules1
- Pre-population of data from eRA Commons profiles
- Pre-submission print/preview of application in NIH format
- Submission status tracking for both Grants.gov and eRA Commons within a single system
- Ability to import subaward budget data from external sources
- Ability to copy application data (excluding attachments) from one announcement to another
In 2013-2014, NIH opened up ASSIST for all multi-project grant programs (multi-project ASSIST timeline). In 2015, NIH will expand ASSIST support to most competing single-project programs, as well (NOT-OD-15-044; single-project ASSIST timeline).
Use of ASSIST is optional; Grants.gov downloadable forms and system-to-system solutions remain viable submission options.
1Although many business rules are systematically checked, additional Grants.gov validations (e.g., verifying active SAM registration) and manual NIH compliance checks are performed post-submission before an application is fully accepted by NIH for consideration.
Back to Applying Electronically.